Search the forum,

Discuss Service without manufactures instructions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ajsplumer

Hi guys, I'm a newly qualified gas engineer, and new to the site thought I'd add a post, I'm constantly finding people ask me to service their boiler but they do not have the MI is ther any tricks u guys have to get around this eg finding out wt pressures should be? Cheers ant

As above, i always copy the data plate to my notebook for reference on other jobs.

Yeh, cheers guys probly should of made it a little clearer I ment if the data badge is unreadable or missing, cheers for the responce

www.centralheating.co.uk/boiler-manuals

this site has the majority of boilers manuals and also has the FGA readings that you should expect from boilers which is useful - could print them out if needed

also you can phone manufacturers for MI's they are free as well

Yeh, cheers guys probly should of made it a little clearer I ment if the data badge is unreadable or missing, cheers for the responce

with all due respect you have said you are newly qualified, so how do carry out all the safety checks required with out a data badge or MI? this scenario is covered in the IUP and should lead you to classify the appliance as AR, as you CANNOT confirm it is working safely or that the tests you are carrying out are done properly from the right place, please take care, as others have said the data plate gives relevant info but not ALL info, if you are completely comfortable working on an appliance (by having worked on them many many times to learn alll the tests) then you need the MI

Always try and get the mi from the internet etc, have a look through them the night before, it will save you from looking stupid when 25mins later you still havent managed to take off the fire front.

Cheers for the responce website will b usefull, I'm confident to work on appliences that's not realy my issue Im always carefull though to stay on the caution and safety side rarther than take the it will be ok attitude. Cheers

Cheers for the responce website will b usefull, I'm confident to work on appliences that's not realy my issue Im always carefull though to stay on the caution and safety side rarther than take the it will be ok attitude. Cheers

how can you be confident working on an appliance with no data badge or MI, i'm not having a personal dig, just trying to urge caution, there are various gas fires which have particular spillage test requirements, most (and this is where the prob lies) tell you to do a spillage test by running a match across the front of the radiants just inside the hood, to ensure the whole area is clear, however i had one (can't remember the name) in the last place i worked (college) which required the spillage test to be done 50mm in from the right hand side 3mm inside the hood, how on earth can you know this unless you have the MI, the fire looked like any other bog standard gas fire i have seen many times, so without the MI i "could" have been temptted to go with what i know (or think i do) and test by the usual method of running the match across the front of the radiants, please be careful

glass fronted fires different scenario for spillage test?mi,s a must.

I bought a set of 10 cd's off ebay for about a tenner - thousands of manuals. Just looking for a good price on a netbook so I don't have to print out the night before.

I had this conversation with GS Inspector. He asked me how i knew the burner pressure of a Baxi Solo. I said id worked on loads of them and he was happy with that answer. He asked me what i would do if there was no MI's (data badge isnt sufficent for a strip service apparently) and i said walk away or get a copy from Parts Center...Happy days.

Them CD's off ebay are really good also

the data badge gives "some" relevant info to assist in carrying out some tasks, but the data badge alone doesnt show you where to do a spillage test on an open flued appliance, some have an additional plate which describes how to do a spillage test, but in general the MI is a MUST unless you have vast experience of working on that actual appliance not some quite like it.

its simple really,all comes down to experience,if you know the appliance great data badge will do,if not you obtain mi,s now me i always ask for mi,s on say a ilfe knowing the coal layout is essential for correct flame picture/ combustion on the other hand if its a Bermuda 552 they are strait forward even med burner pressure is etched in my memory 11 mb,but i have worked on hundreds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Service without manufactures instructions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock