Search the forum,

Discuss Seal a split pvc water waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cfipro

Hi, first time here.

OK, I might be at the wrong place, as I am not a plumber myself, was only googling when ended up here, but maybe someone would be very kind to give me a little help for my problem...

I have a broken water waste(I can see the plastic is split) which cause a leak on ceiling downstair, not major leak(yet?)....

Went to different DIY stores and was looking at silicones, but obviously as stated on packaging...not to be used in standing water...
We are four at home, using only the shower...so plenty of water going through the waste.

So to make it short...what can I use in there ?

Is "plumber mait" the product I am looking for ???
If yes, for how long can I expect it to be watertight? or do I need (plumber) to change the waste pipe from under, which I guess will cost a little fortune, considering the way it is built....

Many Thanks in advance!

Plumbers mait or anything like that wont work, best to replace the section of split plastic pipe.

Pipe will need changing to do it properly, quite a number of ways to 'bodge' it for the time being.

Thank you ... I was "expecting" a less painful answer, so I guess I'll have to find a plumber, even if there is more building work than plumbing...and that's only for the £10/£20 (seen in stores) worth bit of pvc waste.

Link for piece (EXAMPLE) which is broken, right on the top edge when you look down there...

w*w.src*wf*x.c*m/p/shower-trap-chrome-40mn/16391

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can access it and have a bit of knowledge you should be ok to take the task on alone without a plumber? If not, you could post location and one of us, location dependent, could have a look?

How did it break in the first place?

As others have said, really needs replacing.

Why do I feel like I'm at the bottom of the income heap again?

Surely asking a plumber to change a piece of waste pipe isn't going to be THAT expensive?

If a hose goes on my car's engine the hose is only a few pounds for the part but getting on for £100 for a garage to fix it and I don't complain. A plumber isn't going to charge that amount to change a piece of waste pipe and he might not even charge for materials if he's a spare length in his van.

Why do I feel like I'm at the bottom of the income heap again?

Surely asking a plumber to change a piece of waste pipe isn't going to be THAT expensive?

If a hose goes on my car's engine the hose is only a few pounds for the part but getting on for £100 for a garage to fix it and I don't complain. A plumber isn't going to charge that amount to change a piece of waste pipe and he might not even charge for materials if he's a spare length in his van.

Well said! If you can see the section of pipe then it should be easy enough to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seal a split pvc water waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Do any of you guys use a silicone to seal between the bath and waste rubber underneath? The bath is only a cheap one and the bottom of the waste opening isn’t flat, which seems to leave an opening enabling water to leak out. I used silicone in the past for this very problem but I was...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have noticed for a while now that when our washing machine nears the end of a cycle we get a bad smell of dirty water in the downstairs toilet which is next door. We have moved the washing machine as we are having floor tiles put down and have noticed that the waste pipe is full of dark...
Replies
Views
My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than plumber’s mate. The floor was originally tiled, but I replaced it with high quality vinyl, when fractures began to appear in the grout. As part of this...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet in our new house. It’s eventually going to be moved to the other side of the house. The seal around the back of the toilet had failed so I switched...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock