Search the forum,

Discuss Rippled bend in copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chiplet

Hi all

I'm seeking some advice on a job I've recently had done. I've had a new radiator installed and on inspecting the job more closely I've noticed some 'ripples' on the inside of the copper pipe where it has been has been bent. It's not severe and the plumber has assured me it won't cause any issues and is just a result of thinner pipe.

I'm a complete newbie to this so am I being a bit OCD thinking it will cause a problem? It's under a floor so just need to make sure it's all ok and will last for many years.

I'd appreciate any advice or info!

Many thanks

It will be fine, copper is much thinner walled nowadays and ifs it's been bent the old fashioned way, then this seems to be a consequence more and more.

Theres nothing wrong with rippled pipe, its not more likely to burst or anything,
its just an eyesore and not best practice but sometimes its not worth lashing the lenth of copper for a few ripples

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I know it was bent in a handheld bender, it's got a couple of 'indentations' per bend on the inside radius.

I've tried attaching a picture but I'm getting 'post denied' - maybe because I'm a new user?

Poor quality or corroded/neglected benders can ripple the copper. Your plumber won't like you suggesting that, though!

Bend by pulling the lower arm up instead of pushing top one down. Works a treat

water travels faster on the outside of the bend than the inside, if it was on the outside that would be different ;)

All habd benders will ripple pipe (ususlly 22mm) after a year or so as they wear a bit. It won't do any harm as said. Stand up benders will never ripple a pipe even the cheap(er by pennies) imported shye but hardly anyone and certainly not your average jobbing guy will carry one of those. I have 4 of them and only pull them out for 28 and 35mm.

The hacksaw blade tip is only common sense. Tighten the guide to the wheel

I have two of the old Hilmor stand benders & use them for nearly all bending. One is up to 1 1/4" & has adjustable lever tightness. They never ripple or dent the pipe, unless I make a mistake or haven't noticed a tiny dent on the pipe just where the inside of the bend is to be. I do have a Record hand bender (does 15 & 22mm) & I use it on small jobs for 15mm mainly. It bends perfectly also.

iV'E GOT A 42MM ONE bEST BUT I'V ONLY USED IT ON THE ONE JOB YEARS AGO AND I'VE LOST THE GUIDE. lOOK UP THE PRICE OF THOSE BAD BOYS.
Caps lock on there and can't be rsed typing it out again :smile:

I use a piece of flattened 15mm in my Rothenbergers and just started rippling again. Spiraling slice, rippling bender and running out of gas can really get to you on a friday afternoon!

Its called throating.
Can happen with worn out benders or where the copper tube diameter is slightly different to the guide diameter and as you pull the bend that is the result.
A bit wd40 can help prior to pulling the bend

I don't like seeing it myself and I would of done it again but that's just me.

Tell your plumber to clean his bender as since I last scrubbed the guides and greased up the wheels it hasn't rippled once.

I never had ripples with my hilmor which i used for 19years, Last year i bought a new floor standing bender for 28mm from a company called bend it now, they gave me a free hand bender for 15 n 22mm and its garbage as the amounbt of ripples i get and the guides are clean n greased, im gonna get myself another hilmor as they never miss a beat,,

+1.
My hilmoor is spot on and a similar experience with a cheapo.
Rippled everytime.

Hilmoor guides nice and machined.
Cheapo guides poor quality sand cast

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses - puts my mind at rest! I don't mind it cosmetically as it's going to be under floorboards - I just wanted to have peace of mind that it wasn't going to cause issues in the future as I'm a complete novice at this kind of thing.

Gas safe guy noticed a rippled bend on a gas carcass (not installed by me) on my first personal inspection. I was sent to commission some boilers for a company and he included the rippled pipe in his report to the company along with other defects to be rectified.

I never had ripples with my hilmor which i used for 19years, Last year i bought a new floor standing bender for 28mm from a company called bend it now, they gave me a free hand bender for 15 n 22mm and its garbage as the amounbt of ripples i get and the guides are clean n greased, im gonna get myself another hilmor as they never miss a beat,,

a new himor will be as bad but probably worse than the bend it now one, bend it now made himor's benders when they were made in the uk, hilmor have shipped production to china with what seems to be lower tollerances from what ive seen.

what you want to get is a old version record or himor bender from ebay or a car boot and if needed buy some new guides.

i have had a few brand new (used once or twice) old style record benders off ebay over the last few years and i have never had a ripple on them. I brought a china hilmor and took it back, i "was given" a china made record (smae as himor apart from colour) and it rippled 50% of the time.

cleaning is needed with all to aid the surfaces moving. if you need a hacksaw blade i would just buy a 6" steel rule from screwfix, its cheaper, better and can be used on waste nuts.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way. I had problems with pipe rippling. Changed to this pipe bender and have never had rippling problems since. A quality pipe bender made in the UK makes a huge difference. Most of the ones made by the big brands are now made in China and the quality is rubbish. Like most things these days!

Thanks for all the responses guys, sounds like it's just cosmetic and won't cause any long term issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rippled bend in copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock