Search the forum,

Discuss Removing bath with existing tiles and new vinyl flooring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCSPLUMBING

Hi all,
I just quoted for a job to replace a corner bath for a straight 1500mm bath. I worked there before doing a vanity unit and new wc and other bits. At the time I said you may as well change your bath etc. money was tight so they never went through with it. However in the mean time they've ordered a new bath and called me to fit it. No problem I said so went round and discovered they've had new vinyl flooring done and I've also got a feeling that they would like the tiling un damaged. Am I walking into a nightmare as its quit tight for room? I've done hundreds of baths but always retiled etc. I've never tried to take one out in this situation. I'm thinking cut it into 4 once disconnected and loose with an angle grinder and carefully remove it in pieces. I don't mind replacing the bottom row of tiles if I have to as they are small 5 inch squares. However the floor is worrying me a bit. I have some ply in the van I could cover it with with dust sheets under it?

I have found in life to listen to your gut feeling, you feel it could be bad so don't do it. If you do and it goes wrong you will be kicking yourself for not listening to your instinct. They obviously don't listen to good advice and want everything done cheap.

the flooring isn't going to fit anyway surely? there will be a gap where the old bath was so it will need sorting

the flooring isn't going to fit anyway surely? there will be a gap where the old bath was so it will need sorting

Apparently the bloke who laid it has left loads of vinyl under the bath panel to cut and fit around new bath? I'm not looking forward to it tbh

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way I'd touch it is by charging an hourly rate and it takes as long as it takes. You don't know how the bath's fixed, you may break a few more tiles when removing the bath. It would be difficult to estimate how long it would take.

You can drop the legs to lower it, personally I would say ok to the bath but they will need to get there floor layer back to cut the vinyl. Also point out before you start that things may become damaged through no fault of your own and your not going to be responsible If there's is damage that was unpreventable

You can drop the legs to lower it, personally I would say ok to the bath but they will need to get there floor layer back to cut the vinyl. Also point out before you start that things may become damaged through no fault of your own and your not going to be responsible If there's is damage that was unpreventable
I will notify them before I start that things like tiles may become damaged. I'm pretty confident I can protect the floor with thin fibreboard and sheets. It's removing the bloody thing in one piece im concerned with. I'm going to cut it into pieces with a grinder to reduce the size. If I have to retile it then so be it. I have about four or five packs of white tiles in my van for a splash back.

if your lucky there wont be any brackets be hind the bath. but more than likely there will be idd qoute to re tile bottom two rows

I think this is one I'd leave for someone else. There's too much to go wrong. If the customers didn't listen to your advice before, how accepting are they going to be of any unexpected issues?

Well I'm due to start it in the morning. I'm gonna explain my issues and if it's not ok then I will walk away from it.

image.jpgUpdate!
All done, no damage took about 7 hours so a bit of a mareimage.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
any reason for using all them 45 on the waste?

Yes mate. I never had any 90 elbows in the van. :wink_smile:

? did you have to get round something? and never use 2 90s on a bath block too easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing bath with existing tiles and new vinyl flooring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than plumber’s mate. The floor was originally tiled, but I replaced it with high quality vinyl, when fractures began to appear in the grout. As part of this...
Replies
Views
P
Hello, I’m looking to install a new bathroom for the first time and want to make sure I do everything by the book. One area that I’m not getting a lot of clarity on is whether you need to tank the floor area of my bathroom. I’m having tiles on the walls and luxury vinyl on the floor. I...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock