Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need to tank under luxury vinyl flooring in my bathroom in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

P

Pestell

Hello,

I’m looking to install a new bathroom for the first time and want to make sure I do everything by the book. One area that I’m not getting a lot of clarity on is whether you need to tank the floor area of my bathroom.

I’m having tiles on the walls and luxury vinyl on the floor. I intend to tile onto Wendi/elements backer boards around the bath/shower area. installing the boards down to the floor and butting the bath up to those boards before tiling.

But for the floor I’m not sure what is needed for floating luxury vinyl. I have floorboards currently in the bathroom under vinyl roll. I intend to put a layer of Marine ply on topped with underlay and then the vinyl clicked and floating on top.

Is this sufficient? What about the edges? Do I simply silicone the edges of the room to seal? Or should I tank below the underlay?

I look forward to your responses.
David

No I wouldn't say you need to tank the floor for luxury vinyl your plans seem ok , tanking is normally used on tiled walls and floors and wetroom installations where water discharges directly onto the floor and drains away via a linear drain or similar set up , LVT is only splash proof so please check the manufacturers instructions before installation into a bathroom some are suitable others are not, bathrooms often have high humidity and over a period of time this can cause problems for LVT. Kop

No I wouldn't say you need to tank the floor for luxury vinyl your plans seem ok , tanking is normally used on tiled walls and floors and wetroom installations where water discharges directly onto the floor and drains away via a linear drain or similar set up , LVT is only splash proof so please check the manufacturers instructions before installation into a bathroom some are suitable others are not, bathrooms often have high humidity and over a period of time this can cause problems for LVT. Kop

Thanks for your reply. The vinyl is suitable for bathrooms and is Waterproof. So I guess the only area that I would need to be mindful of is the floor to wall connection. As we don’t want to have a skirting board, what would be the best method to seal the edges?

Reply to Do I need to tank under luxury vinyl flooring in my bathroom in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock