Search the forum,

Discuss Please help me decide how to deal with my bath problem! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jacqulyn

We are having bath trouble, and need help figuring out the best thing to do. The bond between the structure of the bath and the acrylic surface has broken, and when you step in the bath, the acrylic warps/bubbles. This is definitely going to crack at some point!

There are potentially three options...

1. Fix the bath - Is this possible? Maybe by drilling a hole in the fibreglass and injecting the gap with something?

2. Replace the bath - It's surrounded on two sides by tiled walls and at one end by a tiled shelf level with the bath. There are tiles down the side of the bath that isn't attached to the wall. I'm in London - what sort of price range am I looking at for replacing the bath? Would a lot of tiles need to be pulled out and replaced? Obviously money is an issue or this would be my immediate choice!

3. Live with the bath until it breaks - I could check weekly under the bath for leaks. How long do you think it will/could survive?

I do have accidental damage insurance -- this isn't something that would be covered under this, is it?

Thanks all! :confused5:

While you were putting a nail in the wall to hang a picture, didn't your hammer slip and fall into the bath?

Mountainman is definitely right, it was you jacqulyn. The insurance will surely pay out for that kind of accident.

sounds like a new bath as to the cost the size and type are important and smaller don't mean cheaper
shame about the paint you spilled on out redecorating

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Mountainman is definitely right, it was you jacqulyn. The insurance will surely pay out for that kind of accident.
oh, i have such an innocent mind... but it is damaged, regardless of how. so it might be worth looking into that. will you please now answer assuming I need to pay and deal with this myself? thanks for your help so far.

It is going to cost a fair bit to replace the bath and tiles! The better quality of plumber you get the less tiles you may have to replace!

It would be impossible to give you an estimate without seeing the job. I would guess that the tiles on the bath panel will probably damaged together with some of those on the shelf. You could probably do away with a tiled bath panel and replace with a plastic one for abou ÂŁ30.

If you were up north I would guess ÂŁ500 give or take a ton would see it sorted including a reasonable bath and panel but I don't know how rates in your area compare.

Please remember I am guessing without seeing the job. just trying to give you an idea.

If you post your location on here I'm sure someone will pop round and give you a more accurate figure.

I suggest you also check to see if the same tiles are still available as this could be a major stumbling block.

Last edited:
Sounds like a days labour minimum, depends on what you want doing with tiles. No one could give you a definitive price without seeing the job. You have two choices pick a suitable bath and find someone to fit it and make good, for a price. Alternativly get a plumber to quote to supply the bath and make good. PS keeping the taps if your happy with them will keep costs down.

oh, i have such an innocent mind... but it is damaged, regardless of how. so it might be worth looking into that. will you please now answer assuming I need to pay and deal with this myself? thanks for your help so far.

Insurance won't pay out on the fault you describe, it'd be either 'wear & tear' or a 'manufacturing defect'.
I'm not entirely convinced that one days work would replace your bath.
I'd allow two days personally.

Mountainman! 2 days for a bath replacement?? What are you doing repiping it from the street? Lol

Insurance won't pay out on the fault you describe, it'd be either 'wear & tear' or a 'manufacturing defect'.
I'm not entirely convinced that one days work would replace your bath.
I'd allow two days personally.
I said one day minimum that's replacing the bath keeping the retiling to the minimum also.:smilewinkgrin:

Mountainman! 2 days for a bath replacement?? What are you doing repiping it from the street? Lol

Depends on how it's done really.
If the bath is between three tiled walls and you need to preserve the tiles then it will take longer.
Plus I don't charge half days. I quote for the finished job and I reckon a day & a half is about right for this job so I would charge for two.

Just kiddn mate, each to their own! I've never known a bath to take me more than a morning though, never came across 3 tiled walls either (yet)!

Come on boys let's not be falling out about this.

jacqulyn should just get someone to have a look and give her a realistic price.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339094912.499473.jpg my type of bath changes mountain man! Haha

Thanks for your help so far all. I am in SE London, so will def be more expensive than up north if I need to replace it.

Any thoughts on my other questions? :)

1. Fix the bath - Is this possible? Maybe by drilling a hole in the fibreglass and injecting the gap with something?

3. Live with the bath until it breaks - I could check weekly under the bath for leaks. How long do you think it will/could survive?

Filling the bath with something. Not an option. Expanding foam would fill the void, but you are talking major, major bodge ville.

Live with it until it breaks? What if it breaks while full of water, with you in it? You could get hurt, flood the room below, or both.

It clearly needs changing. So call the insurance company and see if its covered, and if not, start calling friends to see if anyone can suggest a good plumber....or try on here. There are some good guys who cover your area, though I know Stan doesn't do bathrooms.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice peeps. Looks as though we will have to get it replaced! You all talk about hourly rate -- what's the range for hourly rates? And is the daily just 8 x hourly?

I have been in touch with the fellow that sold me the flat (who had the bath put in) and he said he will "have a word with his plumbing contractor", so I will see where that goes first. Otherwise... I am near Brixton - any suggestions?

Post in the 'I'm looking for a plumber' section on here and get a few estimates. Don't just take the first price that comes in until you have something to compare against.

I personally don't charge an hourly rate, if I looked at your job and said I want ÂŁ200 to do it then that's what you pay.
Hourly rate is a bit of a problem on installs IMO.

I personally don't charge an hourly rate, if I looked at your job and said I want ÂŁ200 to do it then that's what you pay.
Hourly rate is a bit of a problem on installs IMO.
i also agree. the trouble with hourly rates is the costs can soon mount up over what was estimated, i much prefer to do fixed price for something like this.

Well it seems you already know your options. And I would advice you to get your bath changed. I can understand it would not be an easy task but then it will solve your problem permanently.

Thanks for your advice, all. Appreciated! I will go ahead and get some quotes.

Just wait and claim ur insurance get a couple of quotes and get the company to put ur excess in on the quote and bobs ur unle

Ah hah

At least I'm not the only one to post on old threads!!!

(but mine was real bad, one was 5 years old the other 4 before I noticed dates)

At least the micky take from the time honoured members was muted and polite, its all part of the craick, love it

PS destroyer love your comment on your signature re hammers....... if it needs fixing hit it with hammer if it still doesn't work hit it harder.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^ come on lads

The thread is nearly a year old.

i do love it though when someone replies back to one and don't look at the date.
hahaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help me decide how to deal with my bath problem! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good morning! First post looking for advice on an issue I am having with a bath installation. Although I have installed many baths before, mainly using perimeter battens for support, I am attempting to install a fancy whirlpool/jacuzzi bath for my son. Plumbing and electrics are sorted but my...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm currently estimating on installing a new shower pump to feed an existing bath/shower diverter. Hot side: fit flange and spherical valve and Y strainer to old cylinder, reduce to 15 mm and to pump flexi and reconnect existing hot distributing pipe. Repair shelf in AC and fit twin...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hi, we have an old Howard bird mixer bath tap Edwardian brass style. The jumper on one tap first snapped and now has broken off completely. Can't replace tap as the landlord decided it was a good idea to completely tile the bath in when the bath got fitted about 50 years ago. Landlord is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock