Search the forum,

Discuss Whirlpool/jacuzzi bath frame and tiling advice required please! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Good morning! First post looking for advice on an issue I am having with a bath installation. Although I have installed many baths before, mainly using perimeter battens for support, I am attempting to install a fancy whirlpool/jacuzzi bath for my son. Plumbing and electrics are sorted but my concern is the frame required. The baths long edge is up against the wall but the bath is 900mm x 1800mm. The bath is going in between a wall that is 2300mm wide therefore has a 250mm gap at either side. He wants these Gaps and the same 250mm at front tiling to give an inset look. I have seen this done before where the frame has been made and tiled then the bath has been dropped in and sealed. This is not possible in this instance due to the weight of the bath. The bath cannot be fitted then tiled under the lip as when the tile is pressed into the adhesive, it will leave a gap under the lip of the bath. I was thinking of building the end frames, sliding the bath in so the lip is resting on the timber frame (weight obviously supported by feet on floor), then building the front frame and fitting Marmox board or similar and tiling. This will not look as pleasing as tiles under lip but cannot think of anything else. I have allowed for maintenance access as the back wall joins onto a big cupboard so am making access panels in there. Sorry for long post but find it hard to explain! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Photo attached of similar result I want to achieve.
Hope to post my results on here to aid any other members.

Gary.

Attachments

• IMG_6127.jpeg
    IMG_6127.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 9
I’ve rigged up a pulley system before fixed temp to the ceiling joists and lowered it down could you make that work ?

Or an engine hoist eg before the floor is tiled ?

Can't you raise the feet the bath is sitting on, tile and then lower into place.
If the feet don't give you enough height, pack them up with 5mm packers to the required height and then you can lower each one by 5mm without causing any stress on the tiles.

Either way, built in and tiled or tiled first, the joint between bath edge and tiles will need to be siliconed.

The only difference I can see between the two methods in terms of appearance will be the if built in and then tiled, is that the tiles will be +- 10mm higher up the bath edge.

If the bath edge is 30-50mm, I can’t really see it being noticeable.

I’d build it all in. I’ve installed baths with tiled ends (at the customer request), level with the top of the edge with a slight fall towards the bath. This allows any water splashes to drain bath into the bath, rather than pool or on the floor.

I have recently done a similar job with drop in, inset bath with a tiled surround.
This was an oval double ended bath and the under side of the rim was not too true so would not have sat very well on top of tiles.
I built framework of 12mm hardie backer and fitted the bath to this. I could pack under the rim to ensure no movement and then tiled around it , covering the packers and giving the level tiled surface that the customer wanted.
I left a 2mm margin all around and siliconed this, came out really well.
(As it was oval I dry fitted the bath 10mm too high and tucked tiles under the rim to make perfect templated cuts. Then removed the tiles, dropped the bath into final position and then the tiling was trivial- wouldn’t have fancied trying to cut them afterwards.)

Reply to Whirlpool/jacuzzi bath frame and tiling advice required please! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock