Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe fixings behind wall!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tappers

Sorry about the length of the question!

Hi,

I am a newbie to the forum and plumbing and really hope this isn't a stupid question or in the wrong place!

We moved into our place just over a year ago and off our bedroom there is an extension for an en-suite bathroom with toilet, sink and shower.

the shower I always hated as couldn't move in it. So... After learning how to fit compression fittings on copper from my father-in-law I thought I could replace the shower as my first plumbing experience.

Looked at pipes and there was a plastic (sorry have no technical names) pipe running from one of loft at the tanks to the other into the extension and then down in between the walls ( plaster board front and back) to where the electric shower was! There was a T piece that went horizontal to the shower to an elbow that came out of the wall to the shower unit. The other part of the T when down to under the floor boards with another elbow that then went onto copper pipe to feed the sink and toilet!

in my wisdom and with not much research I decided to replace all the plastic with copper ( partly also because I want it done properly and thought replacing it all would lengthen the life!).

Completed all the work after a lot of sweating and swearing ( I am too big really to fit in our loft :-( ) oh and turning the water on with an isolation valve open soaking the whole place and it pouring out on the room below :-(but..... Then read on an forum that compression fittings should never be used within walls or under floor boards!

i want it done properly to last as many years as possible and if we do decide to sell I don't want trouble as I read stories of it being illegal!

Should I pull it all out and get it done by a qualified plumber?

Just get someone to replace all the joints?

Leave it and try not to freak out worrying about it leaking everywhere?

or..... Something else?

several people have said leave it it should be fine! Including my father-in-law who has masses of experience with plumbing and everything!

i finished Sunday just gone and so far no leaks...fingers crossed :)

please help me with advice as am going nuts wondering what to do!

P.S. I have searched the web for hours but cannot find an answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to keep track of what you've said but it sounds like you'd be doing yourself a favour by getting a plumber in to check things over.

Cheapest and most permanent option is Get a plumber.

It's going to come back and haunt you just when you don't expect it.

Cheapest option has already sailed if you've had a flood.

Spend some dosh and give yourself peace of mind.

Well my thinking is if i do a soldered joint right it will last a life time.
if i do a compression right where i cant see it its sods law it will randomly leak!

comp joins do not leak unless they are not but on right, so dont worry about them, sold joints can lea just the same, but we all on here have come across a solder joint that has held for years, tough it and it he scome apart, had one two weeks ago on a gas pipe

comp joins do not leak unless they are not but on right, so dont worry about them, sold joints can lea just the same, but we all on here have come across a solder joint that has held for years, tough it and it he scome apart, had one two weeks ago on a gas pipe

Am i right in thinking you have put all of your comps on right and never had a leak in your career ?

:p

Thanks for all the replies.

I am tempted to get a plumber in and might try and get some over to have a look and see what they think to replacement costs.

Are there any fittings that are safe to be used behind walls that I could use? apart from soldering, I would be worried about burning the house down :(

lol comp can and do leak even if done properly
They can get a knock they can with thermal movement
Solder every time is far better
I even prefer push fit than compression these days

Hi 1king, of cause I have had leaks, who ever says the have not is a bloddy lier!.
Just trying to reasure him we all have problems at time,s no one wants them but sometimes happens I have it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again.

I have had a (hopefully ) professional plumber round to take a look :) he seemed a top bloke.

He said that most of the work I have done is fine, but......

He agreed with most of the above comments about no compressions behind the wall!

He suggested...... speedfit and plastic but expensive ones. He mentioned hepworth, are the hep2o ones?

He said he would solder it for me too and would but I think suggest the hepworth as something I could do, what are thoughts and comments on re-doing that way?

erj, thanks for the reassurance, I was mostly annoyed / worried leaving the isolation valve open when turning the mains back on the the water water everywhere :( the guy that came round said everyone has done it at some point too :)

Hi again.

I have had a (hopefully ) professional plumber round to take a look :) he seemed a top bloke.

He said that most of the work I have done is fine, but......

He agreed with most of the above comments about no compressions behind the wall!

He suggested...... speedfit and plastic but expensive ones. He mentioned hepworth, are the hep2o ones?

He said he would solder it for me too and would but I think suggest the hepworth as something I could do, what are thoughts and comments on re-doing that way?

erj, thanks for the reassurance, I was mostly annoyed / worried leaving the isolation valve open when turning the mains back on the the water water everywhere :( the guy that came round said everyone has done it at some point too :)

Does anyone have an thoughts on the use of plastic behind a wall after several plumbers have said it is fine?

The problem with pipes behind walls is that you cant get at them without wreckin the wall, tiles etc so just do it once and solder it and test it while the wall is open......that way you dont have the worry......the problem with DIY push fit is that alot of people either dont push the pipe fully into the fitting, cut the pipe with an apropriate pipe cutter so damage the "O" ring on assembly or put too much stress on a joint by bending the pipe too close to the join.......most of us have the golden rule that if you cant get to it then do it in copper or a continuous length of plastic (no joins) and if its on show then solder also looks much better. If you ask any plumber on here he (or she that was close) will be able to spot DIY plumbing a mile away and so might potential buyers when you come to sell the property. Do it once do it right.

John Guest for me - which even have a 5 year guarentee provided it is all installed according to their instructions!

You dont get that with soldered work even!

Dont know what all the fuss is about using copper all the time - give it another 10 years and it will be too expensive for anyone to use.

JG is fine under floors and walls. JG make most of the underground pipework these days as well so even you mains pipe may be blue JG speedfit - buried under the ground and still doing fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe fixings behind wall!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock