Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Orientation of basin waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I think I may have been a tool here, but I would appreciate some advice.

My bathroom sink "click-clack" waste plughole jammed, so I bought a new one and fitted it. Plenty of silicone sealer, and nothing complicated. On testing it, the water was streaming out (not just dripping). It was as though there was no seal at all.

I took the straight waste pipe off the new waste plughole, and noticed that the 2 ends had different rubber seal types - a wide chamfered one and more of a "O" ring design at the other end. The chamfered seal was at the top end tryng to seal against the new plughole, and that is where the water was streaming out of. I then wondered whether I had put the waste pipe in upside down, as it could fit both ways.

This is a really basic question I'm afraid, and no, I had't been paying attention to which way it was when I took it off - lesson learned!

Please see pic.
pipe2.jpg

I should add that at the end with the chamfered seal (the top end in the picture), the pipe slots inside the sink plughole (or the U bend if I turn it round) i.e. doesn't butt up against it.

Reply to Orientation of basin waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock