Discuss Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would definitely say top flow bottom out for cast iron. Don't pipe both at the bottom. Any plumber worth his salt can make it neat by putting bends in the pipe to discretely drop it down behind the edge of the radiator.

Don't do bottom in, bottom out on cast iron.

These rads are not designed to work at 3 bar pressure which is the safety valve setting on your combi.
They have spent there lives so far in open vented systems with a head pressure of a floor or two i.e. 0.6 - 1bar.

If I were you I would be testing them first as SimonG suggested, then I would fit a safety valve with a lower setting to the system!

BTW - TBOE for the con's

These rads are not designed to work at 3 bar pressure which is the safety valve setting on your combi.
They have spent there lives so far in open vented systems with a head pressure of a floor or two i.e. 0.6 - 1bar.

If I were you I would be testing them first as SimonG suggested, then I would fit a safety valve with a lower setting to the system!

BTW - TBOE for the con's

or run it on its own plate heat exchanger

Hi everyone,

need a bit of help again please with a couple of problems

So we had x20 radiators and we managed to get the cap-end/ valves off x18 of them to swop and do the bottom-bottom flow/ return.

Then problem 1 developed :( Unfortunately- we managed to shear the valves clear of the remaining 2 using our big trusty steel pipe :S and the thread is now stuck inside. We have tried gently sawing to try and loosen/ hitting with a chisel and drilling but they won't budge. Does anyone know how to get these out other than praying for a miracle! We were going to try a steel merchant/ welder and see if they can drill them out?

Problem 2 is some of the fittings are in pretty rubbish condition so I don't know whether to get new. For some radiators its 1.5" opening and others its 1" so I was going to get these reducing bushes to fit our 15mm valves and put new stop ends on-are these the right type?

Also been advised to use LSX sealant when fitting the stop ends-is this the best one do you think?

Thanks-any advice much appreciated :)
Elli

Hi everyone,

need a bit of help again please with a couple of problems

So we had x20 radiators and we managed to get the cap-end/ valves off x18 of them to swop and do the bottom-bottom flow/ return.

Then problem 1 developed :( Unfortunately- we managed to shear the valves clear of the remaining 2 using our big trusty steel pipe :S and the thread is now stuck inside. We have tried gently sawing to try and loosen/ hitting with a chisel and drilling but they won't budge. Does anyone know how to get these out other than praying for a miracle! We were going to try a steel merchant/ welder and see if they can drill them out?

Problem 2 is some of the fittings are in pretty rubbish condition so I don't know whether to get new. For some radiators its 1.5" opening and others its 1" so I was going to get these reducing bushes to fit our 15mm valves and put new stop ends on-are these the right type?

Also been advised to use LSX sealant when fitting the stop ends-is this the best one do you think?

Thanks-any advice much appreciated :)
Elli

you will need to hack saw very carefully a slot out about 1/2 inch so you can then fold the snapped part inwards and boss white and hemp to put the new stop ends in

Fittings

JTM Brass flanged plug-threaded brass
1"
1.5"

JTM Brass hexagonal bush
1.5" to 0.5"
1" to 0.5"

Fittings

JTM Brass flanged plug-threaded brass
1"
1.5"

JTM Brass hexagonal bush
1.5" to 0.5"
1" to 0.5"

i would try and get the blanks and bushes in steel if you can

so kind of like use the hacksaw to notch the thread that's stuck in then try and sprise it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
M
Hi.I have 6 caste iron rads and want to connect them all the lines are in with the stubs sticking out of the wall. There are two manifolds down...
Replies
Views
New double panel column radiator Cold Turned off all rads not helped Checked trv pin seems fine Locksheild i think is ok see pic sttached...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm studying plumbing and my work mate sized the opportunity to help him installing a new radiator. I'm looking for general advice which...
Replies
Views
Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock