Search the forum,

Discuss Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi there

I wondered if anyone could help quite urgently as rads get piped in tomorrow and I have a lot of conflicting advice.

We are restoring an old property at the moment which had no central heating. We are putting in modern combi and old reclaimed cast iron column radiators. Some are quite large. We are using these valves

Premier Traditional Angled Radiator Valves | Satin Nickel | Online Now

Some rads have

inlet at top/ outlet at bottom-opposite ends

inlet at top and outlet at bottom-same end

We were going to pipe: flow in at bottom and return at top as we were told the hold water would rise to the return?

I have since read that putting flow at top is best as water cools it will fall to return? Felling really confused?

I also read that bottom to bottom is ok for flow and return? Aesthetically would prefer this and would avoid us having to plaster in pipes chased in channel for top? Would this be ok if we balance the rads properly. Flow is in 22mm branched in 15mm just before each rad.

Just want uniform heat across the rads? Do you think if we do bottom to bottom and restrict return they will have time to get hot on all the sections?

Any advice very much appreciated :)
Elli

Welcome. If you can try and register with the Forum, then chances are someone may help with the issues you have!!!!

Top Bottom Opposite End

Flow to top and return to bottom

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Top (flow) bottom (return) is ok. If you can do the flow and return at bottom, that's also ok.

Ok so if I did bottom-bottom and just switched the blanking fittings to top that should be okay? Would I have to try and balance red to get uniform heat?

This is a pic of one of the bigger radiators $_57.jpg

Bottom and bottom is fine. If you can get the blanking plugs out!

Ok great-got Dad's big wrench and a very big piece of steel pipe-stubborn but strangely rewarding when they budge :)

Thanks for all your help!

Not yet-but have come out of old school/ some out of old house. Keeping my fingers crossed all will be ok. We flushed them with hose.

how big is the property (how many bathrooms)

??? Are we on the same topic Shaun?

just a bit of a left turn but normally property that are able to handle cast iron rads tend to be big just questing why the op went with a combi thats all vi :)

A problem you may encounter is that the end fittings have left & right hand threads.

Rads that have the connections on the same side, you will not be able to swap to the other end because the directions of the threads will be different.

Have you any spare gaskets? You may need some if you are removing end fittings

Would definitely say top flow bottom out for cast iron. Don't pipe both at the bottom. Any plumber worth his salt can make it neat by putting bends in the pipe to discretely drop it down behind the edge of the radiator.

Don't do bottom in, bottom out on cast iron.

These rads are not designed to work at 3 bar pressure which is the safety valve setting on your combi.
They have spent there lives so far in open vented systems with a head pressure of a floor or two i.e. 0.6 - 1bar.

If I were you I would be testing them first as SimonG suggested, then I would fit a safety valve with a lower setting to the system!

BTW - TBOE for the con's

These rads are not designed to work at 3 bar pressure which is the safety valve setting on your combi.
They have spent there lives so far in open vented systems with a head pressure of a floor or two i.e. 0.6 - 1bar.

If I were you I would be testing them first as SimonG suggested, then I would fit a safety valve with a lower setting to the system!

BTW - TBOE for the con's

or run it on its own plate heat exchanger

Hi everyone,

need a bit of help again please with a couple of problems

So we had x20 radiators and we managed to get the cap-end/ valves off x18 of them to swop and do the bottom-bottom flow/ return.

Then problem 1 developed :( Unfortunately- we managed to shear the valves clear of the remaining 2 using our big trusty steel pipe :S and the thread is now stuck inside. We have tried gently sawing to try and loosen/ hitting with a chisel and drilling but they won't budge. Does anyone know how to get these out other than praying for a miracle! We were going to try a steel merchant/ welder and see if they can drill them out?

Problem 2 is some of the fittings are in pretty rubbish condition so I don't know whether to get new. For some radiators its 1.5" opening and others its 1" so I was going to get these reducing bushes to fit our 15mm valves and put new stop ends on-are these the right type?

Also been advised to use LSX sealant when fitting the stop ends-is this the best one do you think?

Thanks-any advice much appreciated :)
Elli

Hi everyone,

need a bit of help again please with a couple of problems

So we had x20 radiators and we managed to get the cap-end/ valves off x18 of them to swop and do the bottom-bottom flow/ return.

Then problem 1 developed :( Unfortunately- we managed to shear the valves clear of the remaining 2 using our big trusty steel pipe :S and the thread is now stuck inside. We have tried gently sawing to try and loosen/ hitting with a chisel and drilling but they won't budge. Does anyone know how to get these out other than praying for a miracle! We were going to try a steel merchant/ welder and see if they can drill them out?

Problem 2 is some of the fittings are in pretty rubbish condition so I don't know whether to get new. For some radiators its 1.5" opening and others its 1" so I was going to get these reducing bushes to fit our 15mm valves and put new stop ends on-are these the right type?

Also been advised to use LSX sealant when fitting the stop ends-is this the best one do you think?

Thanks-any advice much appreciated :)
Elli

you will need to hack saw very carefully a slot out about 1/2 inch so you can then fold the snapped part inwards and boss white and hemp to put the new stop ends in

Fittings

JTM Brass flanged plug-threaded brass
1"
1.5"

JTM Brass hexagonal bush
1.5" to 0.5"
1" to 0.5"

Fittings

JTM Brass flanged plug-threaded brass
1"
1.5"

JTM Brass hexagonal bush
1.5" to 0.5"
1" to 0.5"

i would try and get the blanks and bushes in steel if you can

so kind of like use the hacksaw to notch the thread that's stuck in then try and sprise it out?

on the JTM website if its described as galvanised is this steel? Are these more hard wearing?

thanks

so kind of like use the hacksaw to notch the thread that's stuck in then try and sprise it out?

yes but dont cut too far (into rad threads) and cut it top and bottom and then either side and you should be able to work one out then the rest will be easy only prob it takes ages

on the JTM website if its described as galvanised is this steel? Are these more hard wearing?

thanks

well in your post you said brass the only prob with brass is its soft so might cross thread

In galvanized they only have a 'galvanized hollow plug' that has like a square bit on the end-would this be ok?

My method is to two cuts one at 12 o clock and the second at 10 o clock, once that segment is out then hammer & chisel at 12 o clock towards 10 o clock and downwards, this should take the pressure off the fitting and it will come out by hand.

This is for a right is tight thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock