Discuss Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi there

I wondered if anyone could help quite urgently as rads get piped in tomorrow and I have a lot of conflicting advice.

We are restoring an old property at the moment which had no central heating. We are putting in modern combi and old reclaimed cast iron column radiators. Some are quite large. We are using these valves

Premier Traditional Angled Radiator Valves | Satin Nickel | Online Now

Some rads have

inlet at top/ outlet at bottom-opposite ends

inlet at top and outlet at bottom-same end

We were going to pipe: flow in at bottom and return at top as we were told the hold water would rise to the return?

I have since read that putting flow at top is best as water cools it will fall to return? Felling really confused?

I also read that bottom to bottom is ok for flow and return? Aesthetically would prefer this and would avoid us having to plaster in pipes chased in channel for top? Would this be ok if we balance the rads properly. Flow is in 22mm branched in 15mm just before each rad.

Just want uniform heat across the rads? Do you think if we do bottom to bottom and restrict return they will have time to get hot on all the sections?

Any advice very much appreciated :)
Elli

Welcome. If you can try and register with the Forum, then chances are someone may help with the issues you have!!!!

Top Bottom Opposite End

Flow to top and return to bottom

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Top (flow) bottom (return) is ok. If you can do the flow and return at bottom, that's also ok.

Ok so if I did bottom-bottom and just switched the blanking fittings to top that should be okay? Would I have to try and balance red to get uniform heat?

This is a pic of one of the bigger radiators $_57.jpg

Bottom and bottom is fine. If you can get the blanking plugs out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock