Discuss oil boiler's closed heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyb

Hi all

Was called to a job this morning to sort a problem out with a shower. This was done, no problems. Customer said that there was a problem with the heating upstairs (they had taken a radiator off the wall to decorate).

Having looked at the boiler manual, i discovered it was a closed system, and being new to the game (6 months in) i said she needed a heating engineer to re-pressurise the system (the pressure meter was showing 0.6 pressure, whereas the red marker showed 1.5 pressure)

Just wondering if i get this again how to re-pressurize the system? The boiler make was a worcester oil boiler. It had an expansion vessel inside the boiler and i couldnt find a filling loop.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers
Andy

This answer applies if you find a plastic tube with a six sided white plastic nut beside it. Place the key (should be held on the front cover to the casing, you remove it). Place the key in the tube and lock it (bit fiddly but you know it's locked if you can't pull it straight out again). Then turn the white plastic nut anti-clockwise and you should hear water flow. Fill to between 1 and 1.5 pressure and turn clockwise to turn off. When removing the key some water may dribble but that's ok.

of course not all w/b have the key.
then a filling loop will be located else where.

Hi all

Was called to a job this morning to sort a problem out with a shower. This was done, no problems. Customer said that there was a problem with the heating upstairs (they had taken a radiator off the wall to decorate).

Having looked at the boiler manual, i discovered it was a closed system, and being new to the game (6 months in) i said she needed a heating engineer to re-pressurise the system (the pressure meter was showing 0.6 pressure, whereas the red marker showed 1.5 pressure)

Just wondering if i get this again how to re-pressurize the system? The boiler make was a worcester oil boiler. It had an expansion vessel inside the boiler and i couldnt find a filling loop.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers
Andy
if theres no filling loop in the boiler or around it try the airing cupboard especially if boiler is outside

thanks for your help, ive donethis sort of thing on a combi boiler, but never on a oil fired boiler. Guess its just a case of hunting around and finding the loop.

thanks for all your help

cheers
andy

I'd expect to find a filling loop in or near the boiler. Sorry to sound obvious! The top of the boiler simply lifts off (not just the front) and it could be there, or perhaps it's in a cupboard nearby?

Worcester's phone number is 01905 266241 and they usually answer quickly and are really helpful.

had a call from the lady yesterday saying that her heating and hot water isnt working and was it to do with what i did yesterday. As i didnt go near the boiler i said no and she needed to get a heating engineer out to look at the problem.

After the conversation i suddenly thought that because there was no pressure in the system and the hot water cylinder was upstairs, there wouldnt be enough pressure in the system to heat the indirect hot water cylinder. Is this correct?

She hasnt phoned back so i think she must have got it sorted. What a learning curve!

It is correct. I had exactly the same on my second job with a gas boiler. As I'm petrified of gas I called out the installer and he charged me £30 for a 3 second fix!!

Still don't touch gas and worried with it, but I've learned to be less timid now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil boiler's closed heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock