Search the forum,

Discuss Mystery pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

puddycat

Hi, I am currently fitting an ensuite to my bedroom and am running a waste pipe along the floor joints to the toilet, but on lifting the floor, I have found a 35mm black rubber pipe. Its running at right angles to the direction I am going, and I have no idea what it was ever used for. I live in a black of flats that was once a hotel and before that it was very large family home, so although the pipe seems to start from what is now a single bedroom, who knows what the room was originally used for. I don't want to rip the whole floor up,but I dont want t cut into the pipe until I know whats inside it either.........any advice?

Thank you

Don't cut it incase it is a heavy electric cable!
Or you could lose all your nine lives.

Is it rubber, or is it a soft plastic pipe? Could have been a waste or overflow pipe, but I still would worry about it being a duct pipe full of electric cables.

You won't need to lift all the floorboards, just take out a floorboard section every 4-5 floorboards or so to find its source. You've done the right by not cutting it. Like any pipe or electrical cable that I am going to have to cut in to I want to know 110% that the power is isolated or the pipe is empty. It sounds like the building has gone through a lot of changes in its time and with out brig confident you know what it is I don't think you really have choice but track down the origins of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mystery pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Bungalow built in 2001. All copper pipework (water and heating) runs in channels of expanded foam polystyrene between a concrete floor and OSB boards. Pipe are lagged in stitched felt and what looks like bubble wrap with sand (?) over the top. During the bathroom refit, I lifted up some of the...
Replies
Views
I am seeking some advice on how to seal up my sump pit. I currently get condensation on the walls and floor around the pit, and in the past there has been accumulation of mold on the walls, due to about 6" of standing water in the bottom of the pit. The air also smells bad and is somewhat...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know please what kind of fitting this is? I have hot cold wallmounted faucets for a bathroom basin. The original taps (pictured were not gripping and slipping around the pipe)I was told by a plumber that he couldn't find any similar taps with a fitting like this (some sort of...
Replies
Views
Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains pressure from small hole/crack The outside of pipe (measured with veneer caliper) at 23.5mm Pipe Runs under drive, along side of property and looks to go...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to create a cloakroom toilet in our utility room, theres already hot and cold feed so thats one job made slightly easier, thankfully. The problem I'm...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock