Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking cistern inlet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chris0117

Small leak from water inlet to cistern. Water appears to be coming from the cistern rather than from the coupling I think. See attached photo.

This is a new build just two years old so I am surprised that it can fail so quickly. Does it need a new cistern inlet valve, and, if so is it easy to get one to fit, or just a new washer?

When it is replaced will the metal coupling need any special kind of seal or a new (fibre?) washer?

Thanks in advance for any help. Mark cistern leak - Copy.jpg

Small leak from water inlet to cistern. Water appears to be coming from the cistern rather than from the coupling I think. See attached photo.

This is a new build just two years old so I am surprised that it can fail so quickly. Does it need a new cistern inlet valve, and, if so is it easy to get one to fit, or just a new washer?

When it is replaced will the metal coupling need any special kind of seal or a new (fibre?) washer?

Thanks in advance for any help.View attachment 28346

Hi there,

I definitely would change the fibre washer and also too make sure once you tighten the nut to tighten it straight onto the plastic thread as it looks to me not quite right.

Do not overtighten it otherwise the washer will crack.

Just turn the isolation valve off with a flat head screw driver remover the old fibre washer and replace with new one.

Sometimes some people use a little ptfe on the plastic thread.

Kind regards

Ron

Quick fix, hold plastic thread with grips to prevent rotation and tighten nylon nut below cistern. This will compress rubber washer that seals hole from inside. Long term, replace fill valve for one with metal tail. Metal nut on nylon thread defies basic engineering, especially when seal depends on hard fibre washer. Be aware that cistern is connected to pan with through bolts and if bolt is allowed to rotate when tightening nylon nuts then internal cone seal will loosen and be another source of leakage.

Quick fix, hold plastic thread with grips to prevent rotation and tighten nylon nut below cistern. This will compress rubber washer that seals hole from inside. Long term, replace fill valve for one with metal tail. Metal nut on nylon thread defies basic engineering, especially when seal depends on hard fibre washer. Be aware that cistern is connected to pan with through bolts and if bolt is allowed to rotate when tightening nylon nuts then internal cone seal will loosen and be another source of leakage.
Thank you. I always worry that if I tighten something it might leak more but I am sure you are right and it might be a temporary fix.

Would the reason for this failing so quickly be poor installation (maybe they used the wrong washer inside the cistern or because the metal and plastic pipes are not aligned properly putting strain on the washer) or do they often not last more than a few years?

Thanks for the information about the connection from cistern to pan. I did not even think about that. So those seals might also fail in the future I guess. Why might they rotate when tightening the inlet plastic collar?

Actually it appears the leak may be from the junction of the metal coupling and plastic pipe. Would the fix be to just replace the fibre washer? What type/size of washer would be required? Does using PTFE tape on the plastic pipe help or not?

Regarding rotation of through bolts. It is tightening the nylon nut to left of picture that encourages rotation. Between cistern and pan there is another metal nut and washer that compresses internal rubber cone and provides seal. Clockwise rotation of nut tightens, but clockwise rotation of thread relative to nut has opposite effect.
If leak is at junction of isolation valve and plastic stem then replacement of fill valve for one with metal stem is best long term solution. Replacing fibre washer with soft rubber washer, as in shower hose, might bring short term solution.

If you change the whole valve get one with a brass shank

Just my opinion

Absolutely this, but don't get the Flomasta one from screwfix, although it appears to be a good valve the shank is shorter than the standard and your pipework looks like it wouldn't move up to adjust for a shorter shank.
The fluidmaster pro has a standard size shank and is the best fill valve out there.
Brass shank = very little chance of cross threading and is stronger than plastic so you can tighten it up enough to seal with the 1/2 inch fibre washer that is usually used in tap connectors, don't try to re-use the one in situ, that never ends well.

Just had the same problem. Well problem was close couple doughnut washer. Then replaced that and fill leaking and overflow leaking (both very bad installations). Went to switch water off and stopcock would not shut off water!
So longer job than expected but after new flush fitted (inbuilt overflow so banked dodgy overflow off), new fill valve (brass thread) and new fibre washer, new washer in stopcock and new gland packing.
After all that no water leaking and we can shut off water in house :) Total cost of parts about £25! But if you are unsure what you are doing get a plumber in. They know how to stop leaks and prevent them by doing the job properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking cistern inlet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock