Discuss Kitchen sink plug won't stay open! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone, my kitchen sink plug won't stay open! It’s really frustrating. It’s held up by a little plastic hoop around the shaft, and friction is supposed to stop it closing. But it’s too easy to close – just running water will close it, and I have to hold it open all the time I want to empty water out of the sink. My kitchen supplier suggested I put a little bit of matchstick under the plastic hoop to make it slightly wider and increase the friction, which works for a short time, but the stick soon gets lost :(.

My question is – do these hoops come in different sizes, and if so what are they called and where can I buy a replacement? Or does anyone have any other suggestion how to keep the plug from closing when I don't want it to? There's no adjustment that I can see under the sink.

Thanks!
PXL_20201202_190202784.jpg

Not sure what that would be called, or indeed the size. A lot of these plugs are available as a separate part, so if you know the make it shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Not sure what that would be called, or indeed the size. A lot of these plugs are available as a separate part, so if you know the make it shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Thanks; I tried that already. The manufacturer gave me a bunch of different plastic thingies to try and even a new plug, but it’s just the same as the old one. It was them who told me to try a bit of matchstick :)

Thanks, that was part of my question... I didn't know what they are called! Where do I buy them? Do you have a link? When I Google, all I can find is the larger rubber rings.

Reply to Kitchen sink plug won't stay open! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am a basic home DIYer with limited knowledge looking for some advice. We have a sink in our utility that has a washing machine connected...
Replies
Views
Hi. I was Wondering if anyone can help I had a huge leak under my kitchen sink And where the bowl sink kit goes onto the outside pipe/waste I...
Replies
Views
Hi, My kitchen sink trap/waste is leaky a bit from the connection highlighted below. It mainly happens when there is pressure (when I fill up the...
Replies
Views
when the kitchen sink is being used without the plug in, the water drains really slowly and backs up for a few seconds. But when I put the plug...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
My kitchen sink drain became blocked and, while unblocking it with a plunger and lots of water, I saw the dirty water leak from behind drywall...
Replies
Views
Back