Search the forum,

Discuss Mystery open kitchen drain behind wall - need advice about plugging it in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My kitchen sink drain became blocked and, while unblocking it with a plunger and lots of water, I saw the dirty water leak from behind drywall about 6 feet away from sink. I had previously noticed a smell from the same area and dampness on the drywall.

So I cut open the drywall and find an open pipe coming up from the floor, and the dirty water was coming out of that pipe. see picture attached.

I think this is wrong, probably against code, and I think I should put a screw on cap to close this pipe - but I'm guessing.

Please will someone give me their thoughts on this. Why is it like this, what's the purpose?

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_082704414.jpg
    IMG_20210711_082704414.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 19

Reply to Mystery open kitchen drain behind wall - need advice about plugging it in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had a potential leak in the island kitchen drain, but it's no longer an issue after using an auger through the clean-out pipe. The water seemed to be coming out from the base of the pipe. I've removed a section of drywall for inspection purposes. After filling both sinks with water and...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock