Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen sink plug won't stay open! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone, my kitchen sink plug won't stay open! It’s really frustrating. It’s held up by a little plastic hoop around the shaft, and friction is supposed to stop it closing. But it’s too easy to close – just running water will close it, and I have to hold it open all the time I want to empty water out of the sink. My kitchen supplier suggested I put a little bit of matchstick under the plastic hoop to make it slightly wider and increase the friction, which works for a short time, but the stick soon gets lost :(.

My question is – do these hoops come in different sizes, and if so what are they called and where can I buy a replacement? Or does anyone have any other suggestion how to keep the plug from closing when I don't want it to? There's no adjustment that I can see under the sink.

Thanks!
PXL_20201202_190202784.jpg

Not sure what that would be called, or indeed the size. A lot of these plugs are available as a separate part, so if you know the make it shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Not sure what that would be called, or indeed the size. A lot of these plugs are available as a separate part, so if you know the make it shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Thanks; I tried that already. The manufacturer gave me a bunch of different plastic thingies to try and even a new plug, but it’s just the same as the old one. It was them who told me to try a bit of matchstick :)

Thanks, that was part of my question... I didn't know what they are called! Where do I buy them? Do you have a link? When I Google, all I can find is the larger rubber rings.

Reply to Kitchen sink plug won't stay open! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock