Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Jobs You Won't Do Or You're Considering Not Doing Anymore in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Leaking pan connector on existing installed toilet.

Did one today. It's the most perfect combination of fiddly, frustrating and filthy.

I made good money from it. But I feel like I need ten showers and some therapy.

Also, the potential with that job to make you tear your hair out is enormous. Flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak. Put tools away, tidy up, check joints, look down..... One, tiny, evil droplet of water has appeared...

try doing 3 of them, in an abused pub toilet in the middle of bristol, at 12 PM, and still getting the same rate as working in the day. now thats fresh

Also, the potential with that job to make you tear your hair out is enormous. Flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak, flush, no leak. Put tools away, tidy up, check joints, look down..... One, tiny, evil droplet of water has appeared...

I hate that with a passion

I don't do anything drainage! Just haven't got the stomach for it! I wouldn't even clear my own let alone anyone else's.
remember starting work for a company in Southampton and they asked me to clear blocked urinals... That was a quick exit!!

i will do anything - but the price goes up with the jobs i hate - that way if i get the job its worth it - if not i don't mind.

i have no problem changing pan connectors (thick bleach down first )

DO NOT DO - unblocking toilets or anything to do with blocked 4" pipework

hate lofts and rockwall -hate it

hate staying home and having no work

Leaking pan connector on existing installed toilet.

Did one today. It's the most perfect combination of fiddly, frustrating and filthy.

I made good money from it. But I feel like I need ten showers and some therapy.
If you don't want to get too involved with renewing the pan connectors - especially if some idiot has tiled the floor around the pot, then try this if pan connector is accessible,-
Wear disposable gloves,
Use something, rags etc, to catch any water,
Push two flat blade screwdrivers between connector & pan spigot an inch or two apart & clean + dry as best you can in the gap fully around the spigot.
Use a clear sealant -preferably a polymer type that hardens even if under water. Keep the nozzle well into the gap, put plenty sealant in & move nozzle around the connector. Wipe excess of outside of connector.
Job done & always works. 10 minute job.

Last edited:
saniflo or toilet blockages i do but charge accordingly, hate them and always feel physically sick, need some bleach and if there are any decent masks on the market would be good to have one !

hate working in lofts, now wear the disposable overalls and mask the lot, hate the stuff

hate installing cheap crap sinks from the likes of ikea which seems to be alot these days

also hate drain testing, everytime you pull the bung out you get a nice suprise

If you don't want to get too involved with renewing the pan connectors - especially if some idiot has tiled the floor around the pot, then try this if pan connector is accessible,-
Wear disposable gloves,
Push two flat blade screwdrivers between connector & pan spigot an inch or two apart & clean + dry as best you can in the gap fully around the spigot.
Use a clear sealant -preferably a polymer type that hardens even if under water. Keep the nozzle well into the gap, put plenty sealant in & move nozzle around the connector. Wipe excess of outside of connector.

I just wear gloves, take old one off, replace with new one, nearly always have a problem with old ones not sealing again. saves hours of messing around and dont get too dirty too

Best, are you using Plumbers Gold as a sealant for this?
To be honest, even ordinary silicone will work if you managed to get the surfaces dry. I used Dow Corning silicone on a few & it worked. Not much pressure on the joint anyhow, & probably better than new.
I have used Tec7 & similar on them, & frankly couldn't care less what sealant as long as it can harden! :smile:

Don't mind water, sheite, urinals, waste water, rainwater guttering etc.. but!.. open up a grease trap before me and my stomach goes all wobbly!...

Oh.. and loose bath taps and when you arrive you find the bath tiled in...

unblocked a saniflo before in a chinese restaurant, that was disgusting, was used for all the waste and fat from the food

Decomposing food has got to be the worst smell ever, that sickly sweet smell, a bit like a decomposing body if anyone has had the misfortune to have come across one..

I just wear gloves, take old one off, replace with new one, nearly always have a problem with old ones not sealing again. saves hours of messing around and dont get too dirty too
I know what you mean, but what if you go to an old loo, rusty screws to floor, tiled around base, & perhaps even the soil pipe angle wrong - so a bit of a botch. Maybe also customer has little money & you have little time. Quick remedy just to use sealant.

Perhaps the most repulsive job you shouldn't really go anywhere near is attempting to fix some cowboys work that your customer had previously deliberately give to the cowboy rather than you. Especially if they had paid him more than you would have charged!

Ah...that dreaded droplet, we meet again my old friend.

I know what you mean, but what if you go to an old loo, rusty screws to floor, tiled around base, & perhaps even the soil pipe angle wrong - so a bit of a botch. Maybe also customer has little money & you have little time. Quick remedy just to use sealant.

I've been known to Denso the odd 1960's dripping toilet, give them a choice of course.

Wear disposable gloves,

Best I'm interested in this because it would save time and faff. But I don't get what you're doing different to other people who attempt this. Because I've lost count of how many times I've gone to one and been told the previous plumber "put some sealent on it" and a few days/weeks/months later it's leaking again. I'm sure they usually squeeze it between connector and spigot and I'd have thought most would think of trying to dry the inner surfaces. So what is different about your method that makes it work every time? Is it the screwdrivers? The type of sealant?

I hated doing the job today and so a foolproof way of sealing it up in situ would be something I'd love to master.

I've been known to Denso the odd 1960's dripping toilet, give them a choice of course.

You read my mind :lol:

How are you ever going to build up your immune system wearing gloves :wink:

Best I'm interested in this because it would save time and faff. But I don't get what you're doing different to other people who attempt this. Because I've lost count of how many times I've gone to one and been told the previous plumber "put some sealent on it" and a few days/weeks/months later it's leaking again. I'm sure they usually squeeze it between connector and spigot and I'd have thought most would think of trying to dry the inner surfaces. So what is different about your method that makes it work every time? Is it the screwdrivers? The type of sealant?

I hated doing the job today and so a foolproof way of sealing it up in situ would be something I'd love to master.
I really don't think I do anything too special, except perhaps I try to be extremely thorough about cleaning & drying the inside of joint as well as using plenty silicone inside the connector. Definitely it works as I know they are still around. Think you are better using the strong sealants like Tec7 types to guarantee it seals.
Don't get me wrong, if it is easy to change the connector, even a non leaking newish one on a pan swap, it would be mean not to.

Best - agreed! Had to go in and completely undo a botched bathroom install this week for a customer who'd already shelled out circa £800 to have it done. Absolutely everything was wrong and leaking; being the honest chap I am, I had to keep dragging her in and showing her every wrong thing as I found it and then let her decide what she wanted me to do. If I could lay my hands on the guys who installed this then I'd get plenty of work just following him around and rectifying!

Best - agreed! Had to go in and completely undo a botched bathroom install this week for a customer who'd already shelled out circa £800 to have it done. Absolutely everything was wrong and leaking; being the honest chap I am, I had to keep dragging her in and showing her every wrong thing as I found it and then let her decide what she wanted me to do. If I could lay my hands on the guys who installed this then I'd get plenty of work just following him around and rectifying!
Goyany pictures ?

i dont do sani flows ive got a hundred percent record of getting the lid of and not being able to get it back on so dont bother now

i have no problem changing pan connectors (thick bleach down first )

DO NOT DO - unblocking toilets or anything to do with blocked 4" pipework

hate lofts and rockwall -hate it

hate staying home and having no work

Great tip here! Normally get all hands on dirty dirty :p haha

i work for a firm and i always get sent out to sanifloes, blocked drains everything dirty, dont mind it at all lol was abit grossed out the first time i took a sani flo lid off and found a old bloody tampon in the blades but ow well lol

your not a real plumber till you've cleared a blocked waste pipe on a mortuary slab.

always sorts the men from the boys :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Jobs You Won't Do Or You're Considering Not Doing Anymore in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock