Search the forum,

Discuss infa red measuring for chimney lengths in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Petefinny

im seeing if anyone uses them infa red measuring devices for checking the length of a chimney for lining sizing , does any body use them or what other methods are best for quick sizing a liner

Drop a but of string down or shove up flue brushes- preferred as you can do it from the floor. How the hell would you use ir or sonic up a bendy flue? You ever seen inside a chimney? Left then right then left then it's..... Blocked

reply from outside, stand at the bottom of the chimney breast then point it at the chimney and it should tell you the length, well that's my theory, wether it will work or not is another story, just tryin to find a quick solution without gettin ladders out

If the chimney is all finish brick, from ground up, then count the brick! For example - 3 brick with joints 300mm so count how many 3 course of brick & multiply by 0.3 of a metre.
Not joking, that's what I have done before, but for a liner there will be extra for angled parts & bends & it will be a bit of a guess to add on to the height, so not a good way unless chimney is near vertical or only has a couple of short turns.

Using it outside is a bit of a gander as you would need to use some trig. If you want to do it outside get an old theodolite. Measure elevation angle and horizontal distance. Use some trig. Or best bet get a Trimble 8 series robotic reflector less station ÂŁ20k ish and it will work it to the mm. I just push brushes up.

as mentioned, string and weight fm the top plus 1/2 metre, keep it simple, after all you need to check condition of chimney before you get working on it anyhow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to infa red measuring for chimney lengths in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock