Discuss If you could please offer me some sound honest advice... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Real Magic

If I could get some good intelligent advice believe me I'd be bloody greatfull!

Basically I've been studying business at college and just feel like I've wasted three years (im 19 now) I really wished I learnt a trade instead. I am very interested in plumbing but I dont have a clue where to start or what course to do keeping in mind im 19 and really need a caarer asap can somone please tell me where to start?

I was thinking starting with Plumbing Technical Certificate But just dont know if thats the right course! also isit hard to get into the plumbing industry I've been genrally browing on the net and it seems everywhere just wants experience! I just want to have a good job where I earn more than 20k a year and I'd be happy what types of plumbing is the easiest to get into?

No matter which way you go about it you won't stand a chance of getting a job in plumbing that pays you 20k until you've got about 3/4 years experience minimum.
If you can find an apprenticeship (good f**king luck) then do that. You're the right age afterall. Failing that, do your Tech Cert (try to find a course that's reputable and takes longer than 8 weeks so you're assured of not being rushed through it) and then try and find an unpaid/poorly paid trainee role with a plumber/company. Stick with it and you'll be chucked a little cash with a bit of luck after a little while and should see incremental pay rises as the months and years tick by.
But yeah, if you want a 20k job immediately you won't find it in plumbing.
The main things to consider are that the current economic situation coupled with there being more fast-track plumbers than jobs means you'll have a serious fight on your hands to even find unpaid work. I did it, others have too. I fear many more will have failed to.

Last edited:
im completely put of plumbing now tbh, Ive read similar problems with the plumbing industry I dont want to waste anymore of my time. Thanx for the advice all the same

Have to say I agree with watertight, you're just not going to earn that much money without a good few years of experience and graft. I know of at least one young plumber who's ready to pack it all in after 3 years of work/college because he's still only on about 50 a day, ( 12/13k a year).
Problem is, unless you have lots of your own work you've got to be able to earn money for your boss, and there are a lot of older more experienced guys about at the moment.
The hard truth about the building industry is that you will spend a lot of years doing s**t work for s**t money, we've all had to do it and hopefully the pay-off comes later when you're a top tradesman with a great reputation and a long client list, then you MIGHT be able to earn really good money. Despite the recession there is still a lot of money about and plenty of guys (the good ones) are earning top money.

Crikey, if it only took you 18 minutes to give up then your definatley not cut out for plumbing !

I've spent longer then that SITTING on a toilet, let alone fitting one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to If you could please offer me some sound honest advice... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad...
Replies
Views
    • Love
Plumbers and Plumbing Work During COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic (Public Weekly Thread) Firstly, Hi lads and ladies. Apologies it has been a...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
I'm coming on this forum and moderating all posts for a good few weeks, and running searches on old posts. I'm noticing things, and some are being...
Replies
Views
O
Hi all, Basically I'm currently a Sales Administrator looking to career change into Plumbing. I enrolled with Trades Gateway and was sold the...
Replies
Views
OllyWicks
O
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock