Discuss Identity of Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DustyM

Chaps/Chapess's

Going out to service a boiler for a friend next week. He's only moved into the property this summer and describes the boiler as 'well old'! When I asked him to let me know the make and model so I could get the MI's, he replied, no identification on it, and the last service report stated boiler model unknown! He's sent me some pics and some limited information. Apparently the boiler has a plate on it saying Ma_&Christie (the missing third letter could either be an I, a T, or a Y in his opinion). The burner has a Danfoss pump on it, but there's nothing else to go on. He feels that the boiler is on it's last legs, but wants me to service it, as he would like for it to last the winter if possible. Can anyone shed any light on this from the pics below?

Burner3.jpgBurner1.jpgBurner2.jpg

Old Electro oil burner & it is probably about 30 years old or certainly well over 25 years as it is the orange body & has an adjustable metal band for the air setting. (newer models were black & with a air door.) Very common burner.
Hell of a good burner & often last for years with little parts, if any.
The pump should be connected to an oil hose for ease of servicing.
Hope you have oil experience to service this? The plastic drives can wear, so need checked. Nose cone is removed by 2 grub screws.

Last edited:
Inter 10 burner I think. (there is also an Inter 11 & 12). I had forgot the model as it goes back a bit!
Think it is the small burner, with kerosine it's perhaps a 0.6 nozzle & co2 likely no more than 10.5.

Last edited:
Thanks Best - yes have the experience, although not on this particular model of burner. Is the pump drive a standard Danfoss one, or do I need some other sort?

It has the large drive to the fan, then rubber shaft connecting to drive to oil pump. Really identical to Sterling burners drive parts, only bigger. The 4 splines wear on the plastic fan drive, but after years of use. I just mentioned it as if you wanted to make sure everything was ok for reliability, it needs checked.
The triangular shaft & drives also do this burner.
Lovely burners, but the air adjustment band is a stupid idea & very prone to getting the air blocked greatly by just a little fluff or dust, as there will be a narrow gap only. Newer burner with an air door was an improvement.
Those old Inter burners are basically like the modern Sterling burners, with the motor to the side, fan in middle & oil pump the other end.
Just had another look at the photo showing the motor & it is indeed the smaller burner as the motor has no flange as with the larger versions.

Last edited:
The original oil pump (MSLA type) has been replaced at some time by (if memory serves me right) a BFP21L3.

The boiler is a May and Christie and must be from the 1960s if not older. Beware of asbestos in these!! They also have some strange damper thing on the flue connection if I remember correctly. Asbestos rope on the baffle covers and flue connections etc.

There doesn't appear to be a remote sensing fire valve fitted in the photo, which you need on now.

Probably "G" rated for efficiency or worse, and the system it is connected to will probably be antiquated. Your friend seriously needs to save up for a boiler and system upgrade quickly as it will be costing a fortune to run.

Last edited:
WHPES,

Already advised him on the need to upgrade! Thank you for the heads up on the Asbestos front; I'll only disturb what is absolutely necessary, although I'm sure once he knows about the presence of it, a new boiler will become slightly more urgent an issue. I'd already noticed the lack of fire valve in the photo's, hopefully there'll be one fitted, but I'm increasingly not surprised as to what I find on jobs................

I swapped a similar boiler connected to a gravity circuit with a combi boiler with TRVs and thermostatically controlled heating. Customer says that they went through the year on less than a single tank of oil whereas they used to get through three before. They reckoned they were saving well over £1,000 per annum on fuel.

Remember when you take it out be careful with any flue joints etc with asbestos and you must factor correct disposal of it into the costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Identity of Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need some advice on whether to have the early model burner, 87181206190 replaced with the same part number Mk 5 type. I have my annual service...
Replies
Views
Hello there, I have quite a story and a looking for some advice here. On Thursday during the cold snap our hot water stopped working (in the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the...
Replies
Views
The boiler has just been serviced and lots of new parts fitted, On firing up all works fine for approx 15 seconds then the flame cuts out but the...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone This is my first post here and I hope to hear from some of the experienced plumbers or anyone else in general that has had an issue...
Replies
Views
Back