Discuss I need advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

metty_18

Hi All,

I'm really hoping you can all give me some advice.

We bought a new build flat 4 and a bit years ago, and are having a serious issue with our hot water system.

About 12 days ago we noticed that our water tank constantly had water running out of it down the tundis (which was blocked) and caused the hallway to flood. We managed to sort out the blockage in the pipe under the tundis but ever since, there has constantly been water running from the tank. We have also noticed that the tank has started to bevel and is no longer perfectly round.

We had a plumber come round to look at it and he has advised that the issue is likely with the control panel at the back of the tank. However that was 2 days after the running began and he hasn't actually got back to us.

So we got another plumber around to have another look to see if they could explain it and they are saying that the expansion vessel (which was fitted by plumber number 1 a few months ago) is in fact the incorrect part and is only meant for a heating system, which has caused a pressure issue which is causing both the running water and the beveling of the cylinder.

The cylinder is no longer covered under warranty as it has not had a specific annual service each year.

To give you understanding our building has a communal boiler which generates our hot water, we do not have a boiler within out flat hence not having an annual service (I honestly didn't realise getting a cylinder serviced was a thing). Inside our flat we have an immersion heater should the communal boiler fail for whatever reason.

The main things I need help with are:
- What are the most likely causes of a cylinder deforming?
- How much would a tank replacement cost? (We've had varying amounts from different plumbers)
- Could the expansion vessel cause these issues?

Sorry this has been such a long post,
Thanks,
Kara

IMG_0109 (2).jpgIMG_0107 (2).jpg

- What are the most likely causes of a cylinder deforming?

Usually the expansion vessel as your boy said.

- How much would a tank replacement cost? (We've had varying amounts from different plumbers)

We don't discuss prices because of the geographical area we cover but if you post up what you've been quoted along with a précis of what is being offered we can happily advise you accordingly, please include your location.

- Could the expansion vessel cause these issues?

Most definitely.

Usually the expansion vessel as your boy said.

We don't discuss prices because of the geographical area we cover but if you post up what you've been quoted along with a précis of what is being offered we can happily advise you accordingly, please include your location.

Most definitely.

Thank you, sorry i didn't even think about the location and pricing not being discussed.

We've been quoted between £1,200 to £2,000 for a tank replacement and to resolve the issue. We live in Hemel Hempstead.

Can you see from the picture if the expansion vessel fitted is an incorrect type?

Thank you again.

The vessel in the picture is designed for use on non-potable water systems (red colour and clearly marked "For Heating Application Only"). The vessel will have likely failed and as croppie says, it could cause the cylinder to then fail. This type of vessel I not suitable for systems where the water supply is constantly replenished.

Last edited:
as the Red expansion tank always been their ? or has it been replaced at some time ? ask some of your nabours if they have the same colour (Red) tank fitted ! this could be a bigger issue, can you contact the developer maybe all the flats will need putting right

as the Red expansion tank always been their ? or has it been replaced at some time ? ask some of your nabours if they have the same colour (Red) tank fitted ! this could be a bigger issue, can you contact the developer maybe all the flats will need putting right

as the op has put it i think the expansion vessel has been changed

I would have the second guy change the expansion vessel, first check he is G3 qualified!

Then make sure when he's fitted it he then makes sure the pressure is correct for the cylinder.

I'd drain that bugger down in the mean time ��

Last edited by a moderator:
The bracket looks right the vessel doesn't (2nd pic says clearly "Not for Heating ")

What floor is the flat on?

Is there isolation valves on the flow/ return from the communal boiler?
(so you don't need to gain access to other flats to bleed the system )

What replacement cylinder have you been quoted ?

I am around Chesham, depending on the above I could give a quote

Last edited:
Expansion vessel not suitable for mains pressure associated with unvented cylinder. Hopefully deformation is just insulation, otherwise plumber number 1 will be picking up a large bill.

That doesn't look good would definitely be thinking drain down

Is that an isolating valve I spy fitted on the mains pipe between the combination valve and the cylinder?
Not allowed as the pressure relief valve will be isolated from the cylinder when valve off!
Also, the combination valve is not in a serviceable position as it is behind the cylinder and too low.
Plumber who installed it is a plonker

Last edited:
Metty, please get somebody in to sort that. Its hard to tell be the picture it looks like its short of other parts unless they are stuffed down the side . It defiantly doesnt have an expansion valve, an absolute muppet installed that. The control panel down the back had me in stiches .
Has the outer casing always been buckled , because thats what it is . a casing ! .The actualy stainless cylinder is 50 mm under the casing and hopefully will still be ok .
Tribunes did have the odd problem with poor fitting lids, the lids are only plastic.
As said please get somebody to look at it .

Metty, please get somebody in to sort that. Its hard to tell be the picture it looks like its short of other parts unless they are stuffed down the side . It defiantly doesnt have an expansion valve, an absolute muppet installed that. The control panel down the back had me in stiches .
Has the outer casing always been buckled , because thats what it is . a casing ! .The actualy stainless cylinder is 50 mm under the casing and hopefully will still be ok .
Tribunes did have the odd problem with poor fitting lids, the lids are only plastic.

I think the combination valve, with the pressure relief valve as part of it, is behind the cylinder.
I can just see it in the photo and I think the discharge from it does go along and tee off above tundish. Why anyone would fit a combination valve there is beyond me!

The bracket looks right the vessel doesn't (2nd pic says clearly "Not for Heating ")

What floor is the flat on?

Is there isolation valves on the flow/ return from the communal boiler?
(so you don't need to gain access to other flats to bleed the system )

What replacement cylinder have you been quoted ?

I am around Chesham, depending on the above I could give a quote

We are on the ground floor, I'm pretty sure he used the original bracket from the original vessel which is why it looks ok. I'm not 100% sure what replacement cylinder we have been quoted I think they are like for like but I'm waiting for them to arrive in writing.

I'm pretty sure the isolation valves are in a cupboard in the communal corridor so no access is required to other flats that I am aware of. Any quotes are welcome at this point as this thread has made it seem pretty urgent that we don't hang around getting it sorted.

The casing has only become buckled within the last couple of months, we are in the process of trying to get it sorted (hence the thread) we are just trying to make sure this time we get a good plumber as we don't want the same issue again.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has replied so far, it is good to get some advice we can trust. Now to work out how we get Plumber 1 who has caused the issue to pay to fix the issue without letting him correct it as I don't trust him too.

You've given plumber No1 the chance to fix it and he failed. If G3 certified he's incompetent, if not G3 he's illegal. Give him a chance to compensate you the cost of repair by others. If not a complete idiot he will realize the small claims court would rule in your favour and involvement of Building Control could lead to a fine and damage to his "reputation".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I need advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock