Search the forum,

Discuss hmmmm what can i do on these quiet days waiting for a boiler to breakdown??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi all, just wondered if any of you guys have a second source of income to fall back on when it gets a bit quiet on the plumbing side? (not including the wifes income :)

Clear the van out?

Cut all scrap cooper pipe to clean and unclean for a better rate at scrap merchants

Then work on my house but I dont get paid for that, no matter how much I chase! :)

i have,
haulage/removals
plumbing.

i had a break for 7 years working along side my dad in his business, but since he died i carry the flag so to speak for my mum doing the 'odd job'. we used to have 4 vans and 7 staff but since his death there is just me and the horse picking and choosing the easy jobs. strangely it pays more than plumbing (upto ÂŁ90 ph, min ÂŁ25) high profit margin with no call backs and only one trip there and back?.
sadly, like plumbing, everyone thinks they can buy a cheap van and have a go at ÂŁ10 ph. they last 6 months then move over for the next batch of french, polish immigrant etc. it has more or less killed the market as they are trying to undercut each other and offer poor service. the pro's like my dad out rode them all each year and went on since 1982.

I say it alot on here. Painting. Decorating if you can stretch that far.

i have,
haulage/removals
plumbing.

i had a break for 7 years working along side my dad in his business, but since he died i carry the flag so to speak for my mum doing the 'odd job'. we used to have 4 vans and 7 staff but since his death there is just me and the horse picking and choosing the easy jobs. strangely it pays more than plumbing (upto ÂŁ90 ph, min ÂŁ25) high profit margin with no call backs and only one trip there and back?.
sadly, like plumbing, everyone thinks they can buy a cheap van and have a go at ÂŁ10 ph. they last 6 months then move over for the next batch of french, polish immigrant etc. it has more or less killed the market as they are trying to undercut each other and offer poor service. the pro's like my dad out rode them all each year and went on since 1982.

Not a more true word spoke

keep it up RED

Did a job last week for the owner of a big removals company. 38 vans on the road, over 100 employees.
The guy is just an ordinary Joe who has come up the hard way. Took some risks and sometimes been in the right place at the right time and had 40 years hard work.
Like so many other things people want to jump into, they see it as easy made money.

Believe me there is no such thing for a working man. As soon as you get your hands dirty you are on a hiding and your body is usually what pays. Have a look at any old tradesman and see what is in store for you.

There is work out there if you know where to look and people know where to look for you. Not all people want things done on the cheap.
A good reputation takes years to build but you are only as good as your last job.

that advice is spot on lifes a b**** in my case i got it to fold i married one

post flyers and see how that goes? put a bigger/new advert in the local paper? that's what we do when things go quiet. As far as other sources of income however I'm not sure sorry.

all booked up till xmas eve now, nothing drives me up the wall more than not working in the week, i dont know how the un employed folk stay sane, i had 3 days off work due to quiet spell and i was going insane. i almost watched jeremy kyle i was so bored.

I hear a bit of Jeremy from time to time as i'm working away. Good for a laugh.
You never know. you might see someone you were at school with on for their 5 minutes of fame. I did and all these years, although i knew she was a bit of a dug, never knew she was a hooker..........neither did her son apparently:D:D:D

Nowt wrong with abit of jezzers helps me elevate myself above other people in my mind even more!

I just cannot understand where he drags all these freaks out from! And why on earth do they agree to go on his show when all he does is tear them to shreds in front of a baying audience?

We're not too far removed from the romans at the Colliseum really are we!

I just cannot understand where he drags all these freaks out from! And why on earth do they agree to go on his show when all he does is tear them to shreds in front of a baying audience?

We're not too far removed from the romans at the Colliseum really are we!

Lol if you ever get a chance to go to somewhere like Bolton...All will become clear.

hi all, just wondered if any of you guys have a second source of income to fall back on when it gets a bit quiet on the plumbing side? (not including the wifes income :)

You shouldn't have to wait too long. With temps well below freezing, I can almost hear the condensate pipes freezing.

Just keep the wife's hairdryer handy in the back of the van!!

You shouldn't have to wait too long. With temps well below freezing, I can almost hear the condensate pipes freezing.

Just keep the wife's hairdryer handy in the back of the van!!

I thawed three out yesterday but upgraded one to 32mm because it was over 4 meters in overflow so obviously it was gonna do it again

Is it really worth advertising in the local rag? I'm tempted to do so as we have this big freeze coming.

In all fairness I am allready booked solid for 3 weeks, so it may have gone by then. But I love a late night call out! Mad I know, but it can earn you a days wages in a few hours.

I've only ever advertised once, and had one job from it....that was in the Friday Ad.

I get most of my work from regular customers and word of mouth. Just steeling myself to go and repair an outside boiler.....it looks cold out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hmmmm what can i do on these quiet days waiting for a boiler to breakdown??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock