Search the forum,

Discuss High or low pressure in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

How do I know if the water in my flat has high pressure or low pressure? I have good water pressure throughout the flat but would like further advice thank you.

Combi boiler (22kw)
Mains fed water throughout building
Top floor flat (2nd floor)
Boiler in the kitchen to the bathroom is around 4 to 5 metres away

High pressure

High pressure is normally anything mains pressure

low pressure is gravity eg cold water tank in the loft

Thank you, do cold water tanks in the loft still exist in the UK as all the flats I have lived in were always mains water fed (but they used to have a storage tank at some point) and I just wonder if houses/flats still have storage tanks?
Also what is gravity fed? do a lot of properties have a gravity fed system?

They still do yes normally at the top of the building

and yes quite a few still are gravity eg tank and cylinder

Also what is gravity fed? do a lot of properties have a gravity fed system?
Same thing. Pressure comes from tank (cistern) in loft.

History lecture follows:

Unusual (and against current installation regulations) to have cold water to kitchen from stored water (i.e. gravity fed) but very common to have gravity hot water (old-fashioned cylinder) and for many years this was the only way of having hot water in the UK (foreign countries have had unvented cylinders and thermal store boilers for decades but UK regulations deemed this unsafe).

So, if your hot water was low pressure (i.e. gravity fed) and you wanted mixer taps, as they don't work well with high pressure cold and low pressure hot, the cold side of mixer taps in bathrooms also tended to be supplied from the same loft cistern to equalise the pressures. Not a problem if you don't have mixer taps, and some houses have high pressure cold and low pressure hot to all parts of the house. Mine does, for instance.

There is another reason for mains pressure cold, however. Some people (and possibly some local areas when the water Byelaws varied from town to town) preferred not to rely on the mains pressure to feed all the taps at once, so some people preferred a storage cistern for everything but the kitchen sink. A storage cistern has the advantage that if the mains pressure and incoming pipework was not sufficient (especially perhaps in an industrial area where every factory hand arrived at home and wanting a bath at the same time), the storage cisterns could refill slowly as and when mains water pressure allowed.

And even today, there are occasions when perhaps a customer has a large house with lots of bathrooms and mains pressure is not great or the flow rate required for several showers is not available straight off the mains without expensive upgrades, but an old fashioned cylinder with pumped or gravity-fed showers can still work very well.

Reply to High or low pressure in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone just checking if this is right regarding water pressure and combi boiler pressure: Do hot and cold water always vary in pressure such as the following? Cold water from tap filled 1 litre jug in 2 seconds Hot water from tap filled 1 litre jug in 5 seconds Gas combi boiler pressure...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Does anyone know what this is (in a kitchen cupboard, under the kitchen sink)? I'm wondering if it is an accumulator. Mains water pressure is very low in the property. There's a bleed nipple on top, but it seems very small for an accumulator. Thanks for your advice everyone. Jennie
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Gas combi Boiler Mains fed in all taps and shower How do I balance the water pressure in all faucets in my flat. Every tap/water faucet is mains fed but the cold water is really strong in every tap that if I open the tap fully it flies out like a fountain but the hot water is not...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted some confirmation regarding a PRV fitted to the mains supply in my building. All 6 flats in the building are now connected to the mains water feed supply and the water tanks in the attic have been disconnected (each flat has a combi gas boiler). I can see there are 2...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock