Search the forum,

Discuss PRV and water pressure query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some confirmation regarding a PRV fitted to the mains supply in my building. All 6 flats in the building are now connected to the mains water feed supply and the water tanks in the attic have been disconnected (each flat has a combi gas boiler).

I can see there are 2 PRVS in total connected to the pipes (could be more somewhere in total but I just saw 2 prvs on 2 separate pipes on my side of the attic and two on the other side of the attic, I am on the top floor and there are two flats below me.
I would say my flat is around 10 metres high from the ground up. I was the only person in the building connected to the mains water feed for all my water, and a few months ago everyone else got connected. The water pressure is not as good as it was before everyone else got connected to the same mains water supply.
I would like to know that would increasing the PRV to 1.7 improve it as the factor told me all the prv's are set at 1.5 bar, but since everyone got connected my water now sometimes fluctuates when my neighbour is using their taps below me, is that normal?

Any help or advice about this matter would be great thanks.

I don't do a lot of flat work but I would say 1.5 bar is low.

Obviously the higher you go the lower the water pressure. Can you take an actual pressure reading in your flat and just ensure you haven't been restricted lower down and it is effecting your supply?

Yes that’s normal for someone below to effect your pressure / flow when your also running need some accumulators fitting

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to take a reading as the attic is locked and only the factor has access to it.
Before the PRV was installed the water from all taps was flowing great and I didn't have to open the mixer tap fully to get hot water quickly whereas now I need to open the tap more to get more flow and hotter water, which is why I wondered if I should ask for the PRV to be set at 1.7 bar and if so is that still safe. The shower flow was much better before too and would this be due to PRV being installed as maybe I should ask them to remove mine?

Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated greatly thank you.

Hi everyone,
I am going to get the plumbing company to adjust the PRV as 1.5 bar is too low for a top floor flat which is approx. 11 to 12 metres high from the ground up as the pipework is in the attic space.

Any recommendations on what bar the PRV should be set at because with the cold tap fully open I can fill a 10 litre bucket with cold water in 25 seconds. The factor said 1.5 bar was the usual but he also admitted this is the first time they were disconnecting water tanks in the attics of flats built circa 1960s and connecting water in bathrooms to be fully mains water fed and they were having teething problems.

Any advice would be great as I will get in contact with them asap and suggest the bar as there were no issues with pressure, flow or fluctuations of the water in my bathroom before all this drama., thanks again.

If the PRV is reading 1.5 bar in the attic then you the height of your flat will be irrelevant. Personally I wouldn't set one less than 3 bar though unless there was a reason to do so

Thank you so much for the advice and I have a feeling that there is only one PRV to cater for 3 flats but definitely not 3 PRVS for each flat as the factor cuts corners but overcharges owners. If I am not happy with their response then I will get the job done by hiring my own plumber and paying again as I would rather the job be done 100% satisfactorily rather than the stress of dealing with the factor.

I will get the PRV adjusted to 2 bar and see how that goes and if necessary have it adjusted again also is it quite straightforward to adjust a PRV and what considerations needs to be taken into account when getting it fitted in the first place.

Many thanks this is helping me out a lot

You could only have one prv for all the flats aslong as it’s sized right I suspect your issue has nothing to do with the prvs but the water and flow as your used to being the only one on the water mains now you have x amount extra of flats at peak times you will notice a slow in performance as the water mains isnt delivering enough to serve all eg at 2 bar and 20 lpm

I agree that its probably flow not pressure but setting such a low pressure on the PRV needs to be justified by the company. If they want to keep it at that then they need to provide methods to increase flow or a new main if its not man enough. All of this should have been done prior to them switching over everyone to mains though

Thanks a million for your advice and I understand about the flow and it all started when the PRV's were fitted and everyone connected to the mains supply for their bathrooms.

The company who carried out the work, caused a leak in my airing cupboard, forgot to switch on the opposite side of the flats water so they had no water in their bathroom for a day and didn't do any research prior to the job, I was sent a letter 10 days in advance and the job was done within an hour. Initially I was told that a PRV would be fitted in my airing cupboard on the pipework so I had to stay home for this but then when I asked they said it wasn't necessary and put a PRV in the attic space pipes. I am not blaming the company as the factor chose them but when I pay for work it should be to a standard and I felt sorry for the two young guys who seemed like apprentices sent out to do the job on behalf of the company.

So I need to know what to say to the factor because I paid for the work and don't feel it is satisfactory and should I ask for the bar to be set at 2 or 3? What other methods could be used to increase the flow as I am willing to do what it takes to get this matter resolved, thank you all.

It all depends what your getting in the road / utilities supply you they may only supply you 1.5 bar etc or might be at 2 bar and to balance all the flats they’ve dropped it to 1.5 bar on all

IF all properties got a PRV fitted on their pipe work in the attic and I didn't, could I get one fitted inside my property at all and where could it be fitted.
My airing cupboard next to the bathroom has a15mm Cold water feed pipes which then go into to the attic and I can turn the bathroom water on and off by turning the stop gate valve.

Reply to PRV and water pressure query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock