Search the forum,

Discuss Hello All, Armed Forces Leaver looking to break into the industry/ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bomber

Hello everyone,

Thanks for letting me onto the forum. As stated in the title, I'm an armed forces leaver (12 years Royal marines). For the last 10 years in the corps, my work has been in the mechanical engineering sector. Now leaving the service, Ive researched a few industries and have decided to try to make a new career in the gas engineering industry.
Any help or advice anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bomber

Welcome bomber, nice to have you on board, where abouts are you and do you have any qualifications to help you get started? :)

Welcome to the forum.

You might try talking to our very own ArmyAsh - he is a couple of years ahead of you. Quite a lot of ex-services at various stages of training, employment and self employment around this forum.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum.

You might try talking to our very own ArmyAsh - he is a couple of years ahead of you. Quite a lot of ex-services at various stages of training, employment and self employment around this forum.

Good luck.

Fantastic idea Mr. Stafford :)

Welcome bomber, nice to have you on board, where abouts are you and do you have any qualifications to help you get started? :)

I have mechanical engineering quals, but as yet no gas engineering quals. I'm booked on a brookhouse training course in August.
I know and realise a condensed intensive training course is no substitute for experience, but I have a couple of friends in the trade
Who said they would be willing to help.
I will be living in Sunderland, tyne & wear so hopefully there is plenty of work to go round. I'm hoping to go self employed
But would not object to taking a job with another company.

Thanks for the. Warm welcome. I'll be sure to have a good look around.

Hiya mate, I left the Army, so might be different but I used my Enchanced Learning Credits for my NVQ3 courses and my ACS. As I was over 25 I wasn't able to get apprentice funding and had to pay myself.
Best advise is to email / call around your area to see if any engineers need an apprentice. I'm sure they would rather take a 12 year RM than a spotty 16 year old. Be prepared for s**t pay at first tho!!

Bomber ever considered a carrier in diving??

welcome to the forum but remember this is our forum there are many like it but this one is ours.. Or something like that but less Yankee

Fit like bomber . Welcome mate.

Welcome along mate, I'm ex PWRR and self employed, I had funding for some of my apprenticeship then had to fund the rest!
Good luck and if you have friends in the trade then that's a bonus.

not down chivenor way by any chance, if you were you could buy me a pint and I could offer advice.

Im sorry to hear you a mackem. Good-luck . Your gonna be local to us.

Im sorry to hear you a mackem. Good-luck . Your gonna be local to us.

Yeah, the mackem has caused some issues, but on the plus side, at least Im not a geordie.
Hoping to operate in the North east, but will see where life takes me. Got my training, booked in from August so will see what happens from there.

Hiya mate, I left the Army, so might be different but I used my Enchanced Learning Credits for my NVQ3 courses and my ACS. As I was over 25 I wasn't able to get apprentice funding and had to pay myself.
Best advise is to email / call around your area to see if any engineers need an apprentice. I'm sure they would rather take a 12 year RM than a spotty 16 year old. Be prepared for s**t pay at first tho!!

Thanks mate, Ive got a couple of people I know in the building trade and a couple of gas engineers I know. I have training booked from August, so hopefully I should have done my ACS and be gas safe registered by Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello All, Armed Forces Leaver looking to break into the industry/ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, hope this is ok to post here but I’m really struggling to get any responses from anyone. I am a 36 year old from just outside of Maidstone who has recently decided to retrain with the hope of eventually starting a career in the domestic plumbing and heating industry (looking to get...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not really solved this, so I feel i need some real advice from real tradesmen. I am 21 and stuck behind a desk not progressing into a career, I have...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come over the wrong way so please keep in mind I am 57 and at school in the 70s back then was kicked out the lessons and put in remedial classes (before...
Replies
Views
Having just moved into a property and discovering the central heating not functioning, after 3 months we eventually was able to get the property management to have one of their heating engineers attend. He was literally here 10mins and in the loft space for 2mins, where he stated he discovered...
Replies
Views
Not sure if this is a success or a fail or just a rant but We do have heat and hot water now So all started the evening of Friday the 12th (Nov) I had noticed the water wasn't getting hot nor the heating. We had someone come have a look the next day thinking it was something simple like the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock