Search the forum,

Discuss heating switches itself on at will; pump knocks loudly when it happens in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sittingduck

Hi - I'm hoping you can help me with some advice as I'm fed up with being ripped off by tradespeople who take advantage of the fact that I'm female!
My hot water/central heating pump keeps turning itself on at odd hours (i.e. the middle of the night when it wakes everyone up!) & not in accordance with the thermostat settings - it seems to have a mind of its own. It also makes a loud knocking noise when this happens.
The pump itself is not a new one & I'm wondering whether it should be replaced or the problem repaired and whether a repair might end up costing a great deal more than buying and having a new pump fitted? I'm not sure how long pumps are meant to last but if this one is very old, a new one might be a better option.
I don't know if it's relevant but I have an 18month old boiler (it's not a combi) and it's working fine. Shortly after it was installed (& before it had been used) it failed to work & the tradesperson said the system was full of crap & I paid him to flush everything out & then fill it with an additive that would prevent the crap from forming again (that was how he described it).
Fingers crossed that you can advise me on what's going on, so that when I call up some new tradespeople they are aware that I've done some homework and am not going to be a soft touch...
The pump is red and has the following information on the front:

Grundfos
P/N 96281426
PC: 0641

Type UPS 15-50 130
230V
50Hz
2.0 muF

0.16 | 35 -
0.20 | 45 =
0.23 | 50 =-

IP 44
TF 110
Max. 10bar

Selectric
Cheers!

Hi The electric supply to the pump is not switched at the pump but by room thermostat and or programmer. It may well be worth checking out these out along with any motorised valves included in the system before changing the pump. An electrician who is familiar with heating controls may be the best bet. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to heating switches itself on at will; pump knocks loudly when it happens in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock