Discuss h and c to garage! advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kay-jay

hi everyone!

been asked if its possible to run a hot and cold supply from a house into a garage that is not attached to the property but is about 3 metres away.

obvious problems with this are the depth required by regs and the height of the dampproofcourse on the house.

am i right in thinking that a seperate branch off the supply before the house is needed to run cold to the garage and a seperate means of heating this will be needed for a hot supply ie a water heater or under sink unvented?

or is there any other way to achieve this safely and legally using feeds from the house??

thanks in advance

KJ

i think your first choice is the way to go on this mate. to get hot from the house is going to be a lot of hassle and probably wont be very hot after going through 3m of buried pipe to be honest.

hi everyone!

been asked if its possible to run a hot and cold supply from a house into a garage that is not attached to the property but is about 3 metres away.

obvious problems with this are the depth required by regs and the height of the dampproofcourse on the house.

am i right in thinking that a seperate branch off the supply before the house is needed to run cold to the garage and a seperate means of heating this will be needed for a hot supply ie a water heater or under sink unvented?

or is there any other way to achieve this safely and legally using feeds from the house??

thanks in advance

KJ

Hi KJ

I would suggest you have answerd yer own question mate, for all the agro of trying to get a hot feed out of the house and if the hot feed is not extremely well insulated yer gonna suffer heat loss, then there is the distance that the water will have to run before the hot tap gets hot water, wasteing water which wont be good if their on a water meter, yer only choice is a little water heater in the garage, Dont forget if its not heated you will have concerns about freezing in the winter

3M underground isn't too far if well insulated. To avoid a dead leg you could always wire/plumb in a secondard return just for this run if this works logistically.

3M underground isn't too far if well insulated. To avoid a dead leg you could always wire/plumb in a secondard return just for this run if this works logistically.

Hi Howsie

you would not just want to insulate the pipe you would need to run it in an insulated sealed duct coz if the insulation got wet it would be like running a hot pipe through a bath of cold water, Also a secondary return is still wastefull if itis not timed.
Gone are the days when we could just throw it in we now have to be enregy contious and consider PartL energy efficiency and Part G water usage regs.

run some soil pipe 2 1/2 foot under ground, lag the hot water, using hep and seal it all up on both sides, i'd have thought you'd lose no heat..

that is a long dead leg, i would go with the water heater in the garage and fit a drain valve for them to drain it in the winter

Sounds like a similar job we done in January. Check out my blog post on it [DLMURL="http://www.buzzheating.co.uk/Blog/?cat=41"]Combi-Boiler Installation Examples | Buzz Heating Blog[/DLMURL] . Worked very well, customer loves it.

Last edited by a moderator:
run some soil pipe 2 1/2 foot under ground, lag the hot water, using hep and seal it all up on both sides, i'd have thought you'd lose no heat..

One other consideration is the physical cost of this install, By installing a cold main and then having some from of heater in the garage I feel would be a cheaper install, and customers always like cheap

im not sure about cost when you think about it but a cold supply and heater would be easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to h and c to garage! advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a...
Replies
Views
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in...
Replies
Views
Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock