Search the forum,

Discuss Gurgling sink in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I recently had my bathroom redone, and there have been a few problems with it. One of the issues is gurgling when the sink drains. It sounds like a 6 pint bottle of milk is being emptied a few seconds after the tap is shut off. It’s quite annoying and not something I have experienced before. From what I read it could be to do with venting? I told the plumber, and his response was the gurgling sound is due to the waste being adapted to a high flow waste to take the shower water, it’s the water spinning as it goes down the pipe. Nothing to worry about there.
Does this sound right to you? I’ve never heard gurgling like this before. Is this a problem with high flow waste pipes generally?

TIA

I just wanted to come back on here to say thanks. My sink is nice and quiet now when it drains! The anti vac trap sorted it out.
Unfortunately, I’ve noticed a tapping sound through the ceiling downstairs when the sink drains. It sounds like the noise is coming from further along the pipe as the water runs from the sink into the soil pipe. Any idea why it is making a noise?

I just wanted to come back on here to say thanks. My sink is nice and quiet now when it drains! The anti vac trap sorted it out.
Unfortunately, I’ve noticed a tapping sound through the ceiling downstairs when the sink drains. It sounds like the noise is coming from further along the pipe as the water runs from the sink into the soil pipe. Any idea why it is making a noise?
If it's like a clicking noise, and happens when you drain hot or warm water from the basin, it's likety to be thermal expansion along the length of the waste pipe causing the noise as it slides in clips holding it, or maybe moves in its joint with the down pipe, or it's rubbing against something. If it doesn't happen at all with cold water then that's probably it.

If it happens whatever the water temperature, maybe it is a drip/ leak? That will no doubt become obvious on the ceiling!

Reply to Gurgling sink in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, hope someone can help with this. My central heating system has a Worcester gas combi boiler, paired with a nest thermostat and a megaflo cylinder. When the boiler starts in the morning, the radiators start to warm up ok, but this is accompanied by a loud whining of the pipes attached to the...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Hello - I have installed a garden sump-pump. In the photo you can see that I’ve replaced the Cloakroom-sink bend that previously went to the gulley with a Tee. Water in Sump vent hose now goes past the cloakroom outlet. Predictably the pump causes gurgling as it creates a partial vacuum going...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
This is a picture of my sons sink plumbing. The yellow arrow goes to the dishwasher and the red arrow goes to the washing machine. There is a problem with waste water going from the sink, into the washing machine I guess because the pipe, right on the elbow isn't high enough. I have tried to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock