Search the forum,

Discuss Grant Combi MkII - Overheating after using hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

6666nick

Hi All ,
My first post so please be gentle!.

I have a Grant Combi mkII which has been giving me an over heating problem after using hot water recently , prime example is i have a shower in the morning before work hot water is fine , by the time i've dressed and come down stairs the boiler has gone in to 'Overheat' , eventually once the boiler has cooled i can use the reset and the boiler will work fine , this does not happen every time the hot water is used.

This has been happening for few weeks now and on the advice of 'a mate' i changed the expansion vessil which i thought had cured it as it had not over heated until this morning when it did it again after i had a shower.

Any suggestions please?? - i was thinking either partially blocked heat exchanger although hot water performance when running is 100% so maybe not that , or some kind of issue with thermostats / temperture settings

Thanks.

Are the auto air vents on to of the boiler open? Does the boiler overheat when you run the heating?

If the hot water is fine I would disregard the pump. I would be looking at the thermostats, I am afraid you would need an engineer, you would need to check that the tank stat is cutting in at I think it is about 78deg (or thereabouts), it could be that the overheat stat is cutting in too early. There were one or two problems with the stat on these in the early days especially with the control stat which you sometimes had to tweak a bit. A stem thermometer is the answer to check them with, I carry one in the van

Have had the pump impellar jam and melt on one of these

The hot water and the heating both work 100% when in use so can't really be the pump , its purely an issue with the boiler over heating after the ho****er has been used.

If the hot water is fine I would disregard the pump. I would be looking at the thermostats, I am afraid you would need an engineer, you would need to check that the tank stat is cutting in at I think it is about 78deg (or thereabouts), it could be that the overheat stat is cutting in too early. There were one or two problems with the stat on these in the early days especially with the control stat which you sometimes had to tweak a bit. A stem thermometer is the answer to check them with, I carry one in the van

Kimbo - I have a stem thermometer that i can borrow from work as i am a building engineer at a hospital so i'm resonably familar with the engineering side of things , its just knowing where to look for the problem. Are the stats sets points adjustable??

Are the auto air vents on to of the boiler open? Does the boiler overheat when you run the heating?

Roger - As far as i know yes the vents are open , the boiler does not overheat after running the heating - just after the hot water is used.

If you let me have your email I will send you the relevant copy of the service manual, its far easier than me trying to explain it. It is probably better getting an engineer out but that will be up to you.
The boiler may be firing prematurely on the store stat in which case it will overheat.

Kimbo - Thanks very much for that , the forum won't let me enter my email on the post for some reason ? , can you PM me?

Could it be sludged up? As large amounts of sludge can store a lot of heat and give it off after the pump stops. That brings us to the pump overrun.

Would not be the first one where the pump overrun has been disabled or broken. Is the pump still going for a while after the HW gets turned off?

If you are doing measurements check your hot water on the taps as well for temperatures. How is your general setting for the flow temperature? Have you tried lowering that a bit?

Sorry for AddOn: When was the last service on the boiler?

Last edited by a moderator:
Either a coincidence or you have a problem paying for service HERE

All questions have been answered He even has a manual

Kimbo - Thanks very much for that , the forum won't let me enter my email on the post for some reason ? , can you PM me?

Hi, did you get to the answer on this one? I have exactly the same problem on my boiler.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Grant Combi MkII - Overheating after using hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock