Discuss Flexi hoses and isolation valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robomonkey

Hi All

I'm going to install a shower mixer on my gravity fed system.

Since its a gravity fed system I want to avoid introducing any issues which will reduce my already very low pressure.

I've read posts about cheap full bore isolation valves not being full bore, which sounds just plain wrong, and also that flexi hoses reduce the bore and flow rate.

Are ther good manufacturers out there that supply full bore fitting? I've rad Conex is good?

Thanks

If you have low head on a shower MV only use 15 mm gate valves, take a ballofix valve and a gate valve and look down the hole and then make up your mind, some ballofix only have half the 15 mm dia through them and flexible even worse, flexible have a small diameter over a greater length. Top photo ballofix end on bottom flexible end on, 15 mm gate valve is near full dia

DSCN1484.jpg

DSCN1485.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, the photos are really helpful.

i don't understand why they don't just make them bigger?

Are Conex fittings good?

Thanks, the photos are really helpful.

i don't understand why they don't just make them bigger?

Are Conex fittings good?

Size is why they don't make them bigger, gate valves were around 55 year before ballofix, yes Conex and Kuterlite are good, if you buy a tap now with flexible you won't run them off a tank feed system, too much pressure drop in the flexible.

You can get full bore isolating valves that are fairly cheap. They look just like a wider version of the ordinary iso's.
If you look carefully inside them & you see a white seal around the ball, then it should be decent enough quality hopefully.
Lever valves are my favourite - if you have room for the lever. There are valves with small levers. (Some of the gas valves will do water or oil). Peglers are one manufacturer of very good valves.
IMO, avoid all flexis if possible, especially if you have poor flow/pressure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice chaps, I'll see what my local merchant has.

check the shower too as some work better on low pressures, most manufactures will tell you the expected flow rate depending on your pressure

I know my pressure is 0.1 at the shower, and 0.2 at the bath, everything I've bought is labelled for low pressure systems within these parameters, and I've got a mira shower, and bristan taps.

i hadn't appreciated these would be affected by flexi's or isolation valves.

ive never done plumbing before and the flexi's are quite attractive for ease of installation, now I'm think I might have to spend a bit more time and try and get the copper right upto the fittings, it seems to me this is a real skill of measurement and experience.

I know my pressure is 0.1 at the shower, and 0.2 at the bath, everything I've bought is labelled for low pressure systems within these parameters, and I've got a mira shower, and bristan taps.

i hadn't appreciated these would be affected by flexi's or isolation valves.

ive never done plumbing before and the flexi's are quite attractive for ease of installation, now I'm think I might have to spend a bit more time and try and get the copper right upto the fittings, it seems to me this is a real skill of measurement and experience.

Static pressure is one thing, but when the water starts to flow that is another.

In my experience anything designed for low pressure will work but the flow will be absolute rubbish. I bet you finish up adding a pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flexi hoses and isolation valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have just replaced the old bathroom basin mono mixer taps, 2 tap heads, standard compression valve type, to a modern mono mixer single lever...
Replies
Views
This is doing my head in, so I am turning to the experts here for any wisdom... In the last couple of days I have very low cold water pressure in...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Okay so I went and purchased this nice Grohe Bau Curve Kitchen Mono Mixer Tap and I knew it came with 6mm bore flexi tails which was fine because...
Replies
Views
I live most of the year on a tiny Caribbean island with no mains water. I collect rain in a 25,000 gallon cistern which is then pumped to the...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock