Discuss fixing a blockage within the heating system?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ravihotwok

hello peeps, this is my first post so be gentle.

I have a problem with the rad in my bathroom. It does not seem to work when the heating system is on. Here is what my system is as far as i know.

Header Tank in loft - - rad in bathroom - - rad in bedroom - -rad in spare room --(drop to ll) - - rad in hall

this is all heated via a log burner in the front room.

The problem is I dont think any hot water is getting to the bathroom rad, if I bleed the rad the it fill up in revers I think with hot water but that soon cools down. The pipe which feed the rad with hot water is even cold.

Can anyone advise of some steps I can take to try and rectify this please?

Any help would be most appreciated

Kind regards

Ravi

Turn off all other rads. Leave just bathroom on. May be an airlock

shut both valves remove air vent gently catching any water with a cloth hold bucket in front of open air vent and open one valve run about a litre then shut valve repeat process with other valve
if either valve fails to produce water suspect valve stuck or blockage in that side

Simon - steve - many thanks, right let me right down the instruction so you both know what im doing as im a bit daft at this diy lark.

1.Screw all valves to rad off at the bottom of each side.
2.Have both bottom sides of the bathroom rad left on
3. open the bleed screw at the top right hand side of the rad?? (the rad is fed from the right I think if thats relevent)

Im I on the right path here chaps? also do I need to have the fire lit and the water pump on??

Sorry if this is simple stuff but I really havnt got a clue

1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
Pump on would be good but no need to light fire (unless you're cold!)

Are you sure the bathroom radiator is on the heating circuit? Sometimes find bathroom radiators on the hot water circuit to provide heat to bathroom in summer when CH is off but hot water is on at least part of the day.

right ive only just got back from work and the mrs is tucked up in her pit. Ive switched all but the bedroom rads off, need to buy a bleed key thing tomorrow for the bathroom rad.

Im pretty sure the bathroom rad is linked to the others as when I open it the others then start to have heating problems

will give it a go tomorrow and let you know the progress.

Can someone confirm what I need to do once i have locked the rads off, opened the bathroom rad and switched the pump on?

Yes - but only after you've closed the bleed valve, unless you enjoy indoor water features.

That is, turn off other radiators, bleed bathroom radiator, close bleed valve, turn on pump.

Yes - but only after you've closed the bleed valve, unless you enjoy indoor water features.

That is, turn off other radiators, bleed bathroom radiator, close bleed valve, turn on pump.

thanks a lot mate, will get a key for the rad from b&q after, just a quick thought tough would it be best to leave the bathroom rad switched off on the left side as I know that side isnt blocked because it fills with hot water when i undo it and the heating is on, but im sure the blockage is to do with the feed side. If I leave the left side locked and open the right (feed) and nothing happens wont this confirm that the blockage is between the rad and the header??

If you don't mind, to save loads of typing for the various scenarios, leave the valves open, see what happens, then report back.

Vales on bathroom rad open
All other rads turned of
Pump on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fixing a blockage within the heating system?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension in to the old part of my house. I need to feed 3 rads in separate bedrooms on...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t...
Replies
Views
Our house was built in 2007 and we are the second family to live here - moving in in 2017. The central heating has been working fine - although...
Replies
Views
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice. I live in a three floor house with a gravity fed cold water system for all of the bathrooms. The tank is in...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock