Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting smart thermostat (Drayton Wiser) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Current spec as follows:
  • Conventional boiler (Vaillant Ecotec) / open vented
  • Drayton MA1 motorised valve actuator
  • Honeywell cylinder stat
  • Potterton EP2 programmer
  • Danfoss Randall TP7001 room stat

On order:
- Drayton Wiser Heating & HW smart thermostat (Kit 2)

Seeing as the Drayton Wiser kits are a bit of a bargain on Amazon today and I had been after a smart thermostat for some time, I decided to take the plunge. What I'm wondering is whether I simple DIY-er like me has a good chance of fitting the thing, or whether to get a professional in to do the job, which has the bonus of extending the warranty to 5 years (beat that, Hive Home).

From what I've read, the Wiser system is relatively straightfoward to fit as these things go, but anyone who is familiar with the Potterton EP2 (or older EP200x range) programmers will know that they're a bit special as they effectively act as a wiring station with a right old collection of wires back there, and I don't fancy tangling with that unless I can be sure I know what I'm doing.

So I am inclined to cough up and get someone in who knows what they're doing (anyone happy to pitch what they reckon a reasonable installation cost would be?) - but I thought I'd ask on here first, just in case anyone has done this swap and can tell me it's a piece of cake. šŸ˜

Personally havenā€™t fitted any, however Iā€™d opt for the extended warranty offered by professional installation. What I can tell you is, electricity is dangerous and with it being heating, could be wired up using different coloured wires- colours mean nothing in heating wiring.

Reply to Fitting smart thermostat (Drayton Wiser) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock