Discuss Dripping hot water cylinder overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have copper hot water cylinder in the loft wrapped with a puffa jacket. Its a very old fashion type of copper cylinder where you can simply lift the top off. I've noticed the cylinder has been leaking lately as water has leaked through the ceiling.

When I've been in the loft to inspect I've noticed the tank has developed a streak of bluish discolouration which travels from the plastic overflow pipe all the way to the bottom of the cylinder. I've been told that such discolouration is a tell tale sign of a leak.

I've noticed that when I raise the water level up to the overflow pipe it does seem to be leaking from this joint.

So my question is

1) what causes the the water level to rise all the way up to the over flow pipe
2) what the best way/material/product to use to fix or seal the plastic overflow pipe that is connected to the copper tank?
2) if it can be fix with a sealant, do you apply it both from inside the tank and outside or just outside the tank. What kind of sealant do you use?

Many thanks

firstly the most common cause of an overflow leak is the float valve passing water. its a simple job if you want to try it yourself. or if you're not confident most guys would charge around £60.

re the overflow you can dissassemble the connection to the tank and fit a nice new rubber washer, or if you cant find one then a bit of silicone under the flange and then nip the nut back up squeezing off the excess will sort it.

firstly the most common cause of an overflow leak is the float valve passing water. its a simple job if you want to try it yourself. or if you're not confident most guys would charge around £60.

re the overflow you can dissassemble the connection to the tank and fit a nice new rubber washer, or if you cant find one then a bit of silicone under the flange and then nip the nut back up squeezing off the excess will sort it.

Thanks for the tip. With regards to the overflow connection fix - wont a rubber washer or silicone melt/burn when the tank heats up? Or as someone else suggested that the one copper cylinder actually encompases two sections - upper half with the overflow pipe is the cold section and bottom half is the hot water section? However the entire cylinder does heat up when the water is heated so I just want to be sure.

Cheers.

the overflow (if thats what you mean) is a connection onto the cold header tank whether it is remote (in loft) or inbuilt as part of the cylinder. either way the tank shouldnt get hot enough to cause problems for a washer. the overflow connection is likely to be plastic.

if your leak is from elsewhere then you have your terminology wrong and a picture would help enormously for us to help diagnose cause and suggest a remedy.

the overflow (if thats what you mean) is a connection onto the cold header tank whether it is remote (in loft) or inbuilt as part of the cylinder. either way the tank shouldnt get hot enough to cause problems for a washer. the overflow connection is likely to be plastic.

if your leak is from elsewhere then you have your terminology wrong and a picture would help enormously for us to help diagnose cause and suggest a remedy.

I've uploaded some photos and it looks like there are two copper tanks one on top of the other - with the puffa jacket it appeared as though it was one! So if the cold water tank is on top of the hot water tank what is the tank on the left doing that is wrapped in loft insualtion? I thought that was the cold water tank?

I'm also having trouble unscrewing the plastic nut holding the plastic overflow pipe to check what size washer it would need.

16285897729_01cc64b1e4_n.jpg
16284446508_3a085c24ef_n.jpg
16284443038_f8948e7d74_n.jpg
16470407201_bfd5a726f8_n.jpg

16446148756_ba7753f6f2_n.jpg
16472136815_0d0bc8a59e_n.jpg
16286239697_b619af9873_n.jpg

Tank on left is feed and expansion tank for your central heating circuit.

The cylinder is a combination or fortic type with a built in cold water starage tank with a lift off lid. This will not get hot enough to cause a problem for either a rubber washer or silicone so crack on and repair the leak.

The cause of the overflowing issue needs addressing thougj. As I said before its likely that the fliat valve isnt shutting off completely and needs replaced

If you cant remove overflow connection smear silicone around it.

Tank on left is feed and expansion tank for your central heating circuit.

The cylinder is a combination or fortic type with a built in cold water starage tank with a lift off lid. This will not get hot enough to cause a problem for either a rubber washer or silicone so crack on and repair the leak.

The cause of the overflowing issue needs addressing thougj. As I said before its likely that the fliat valve isnt shutting off completely and needs replaced

Thanks for your help. I note your from bolton as Im I! I'm thinking of replacing the entire system with a combi boiler at some point. Do you have a company and would you be willing to offer a quote?

Yes I have my own business with two gas safe engineers available. We would be happy to provide a quote for you.
Whereabouts in bolton are you from?

Yes I have my own business with two gas safe engineers available. We would be happy to provide a quote for you.
Whereabouts in bolton are you from?

I'm up wigan road, bolton. Do you have a contact number, business name/website I can refer to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dripping hot water cylinder overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock