Search the forum,

Discuss Does 'Main' equal 'Potterton' in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matthew9

Hi. I really have very little (ok, make that "no") knowledge of central heating whatsoever. Perhaps someone can help me.

My mother-in-law recently had a combi boiler installed.
The quotation was for a 'Potterton' boiler; when I looked at the completed installation the boiler was marked as a 'Main'. I had a search around the internet and discovered that some boilers are sold as 'Main', some as 'Potterton'; but some suppliers describe certain boilers as 'Potterton Main'.

I'm confused, so the question is; has she been quoted for one type of boiler and supplied with another? One that is possibly inferior specification? (and therefore lower cost to the installer)

Incidentally, she was quoted £2400+VAT for lot, compared with a British Gas quote of £4800 (less £300 for some promotion they were doing). This seemed to be reasonable, even though the two guys did the whole job in one day (albeit a long day, about 8am to gone 6pm).

Thanks

Main do indeed belong to the potterton baxi family.
The Main boilers are based on older baxi/pott boilers, which ones I do not know.Gasman will know.
That price seems way over if it was just a like for like swap.If it was alike for like, then for that money I would be fitting vaillant or wb.

Graham

Potterton is worth 13 points in scrabble and Main is worth 8 points.

Hope that helps

main 24,24he/30he same as potterton performa,also the same as a baxi 80eco,80 he 105 he,good boilers main and potterton very similar price wise

Thank you gas man, grahamgas and yes, nice one Poxi ! :)

Graham, that price was for the full works, removal of old conventional boiler/hot water tank, re-arrange plumbing, new hole through the outside wall, power flush, and all the associated new bits needed (I haven't got the quote here so I can't remember the details). Tha details were identical to the British Gas one.

Again, thanks guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as its been done well, then £2400 isnt a bad price. The main boilers usually only come with a 1yr garentee as opposed to the baxi/Potterton 2yr btw thats why they are cheaper but essentialy the same boiler.

When I downloaded the user manual and installation manual from the potterton website both are listed as main on the product name not potterton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does 'Main' equal 'Potterton' in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock