Discuss Disconnecting/Re-connecting bathroom toilet & sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LewisC

I'm moving to a new build property where i'm looking to tile the bathroom floor. Currently the toilet and sink are installed, but there is no flooring, only floorboards.

As such I will have to get the whites disconnected, tile the floor, then re-connect the toilet/sink. After tiling, the floor will have been raised by approx 25mm

Can you tell me the likely problems there will be with the plumbing?

Thanks

Yes you will also have to ply the floor with 9mm ply too. You will probably have to get an offset pan connector or a flexi one. Maybe a flexi to the cistern inlet if it already fits exactly. Drill all new holes in the tiles so use a special diamond drill bit. no need to remove the bath as will be covered by panel any way ( presumably) basin may prove difficult because it depends on how it is plumbed it sometimes you get chrome wastes in new builds giong straight outside. A photo would be better to see ?

Last edited by a moderator:
25 mm? thats some thick floor your putting down
the main problem i see is re connecting the toilet waste (depending on the layout),you dont get much room for movement in new builds
re connecting the BASIN !! should be fairly strraight forward .
and your going to need a sharp plane for the bathroom door !!!

Just so you know lewis a sink in our lingo is in your kitchen as it has a different size waste , a basin is what we have in a bathroom ;)

thought the standard min thickness for tiling floor/sub to boards is 18mm wpb board?.

main probs u will encounter is leaks... and badly fitted and finished suite.

Noooo dont cut around the sanitary ware unless you are an excellent tiler ! I obviously do it all the time:p... 9mm ply is absolutely bare minimum 12 mm is even better though just bear in mind the doorway ...you dont want to be making a step. Some people, especially on new floorboards tile straight to it in small rooms though use Bal one part flexi rapidset though its a bit of a no no with the guys on the tilers forum. I have done it myself with no ply and it is fine. though I would ALWAYS PLY NOW ;)

really don't want to cut around the toilet and "basin" as the finish isn't that great.

Had a quote from the site plumber to disconnect x3 toilet and x3 basin, then reconnect after tiling/flooring laid and raised the sanitary ware by approx 20mm - quoted £100. Does this seem reasonable?

Hi. Be mindful of the basin and wc cistern. If the basins got a tiled splash back it may well need breaking off and redoing with the 25 mm rise, the overflow on the WWP may also create problems. In most cases it easier to move appliances 6 inches than 1 inch. Before signing up with the plumber to do the 6 items you mention for a oner, make sure he's not the sort that disappears when things get awkward or charge you double. Good Luck

just try a dummy run of the appliances..you will need to cut the bath panel unless you tile the bath front aswell..get a telescopic basin trap,flexi pan connector you can judge the size from the dummy run this will save you some time..you might need to extend the hot and cold feeds to the basin or even the bath if you take this out aswell..this is pretty easy stuff so just take your time and plan it,,DONT EVER CUT AROUND THE APPLIANCES for the tiles to fit (SANITARY WARE) ITS FOR COWBOYS MY FRIEND!!!!!. you will want a nice showroom finish..i presume! so do it right first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Disconnecting/Re-connecting bathroom toilet & sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock