Search the forum,

Discuss combi used as a system boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

never done this but as long as i run the hot outlet to at least 1 tap i cant see any reason why i cant use a combi as a system boiler?

Never seen it done.

But you can definitely do it on an intergas boiler.

my thoughts are tom if you can zone a combi,which i have many times its no different fitting a y plan system and using it as a system set up as long as you use one outlet for dhw from the boiler

never done this but as long as i run the hot outlet to at least 1 tap i cant see any reason why i cant use a combi as a system boiler?

It is the set up we have here. I have a WB which was a quick fix years ago but now have is S planned. Still combi hot to kitchen sink and downstairs loo.

Why would you need to run any hot at all? I've never done it, but have heard of it being done and always assumed that was how people did it.

Course you can Mark done a few as combi was higher output and cheaper than system etc

what about electric control on pcb. probably you would need to close some jumpers not to switch to dhw. just assumption :)

Why would you need to run any hot at all? I've never done it, but have heard of it being done and always assumed that was how people did it.

You don't need to have a hot run but it makes sense for occasional use. We have our timer set to have hot water in the evening. If I need to sort my mucky mits during the day there is no cylinder draw off and theoretically better economy.

You don't need to have a hot run but it makes sense for occasional use. We have our timer set to have hot water in the evening. If I need to sort my mucky mits during the day there is no cylinder draw off and theoretically better economy.

Good point, well made! Might as well use it if it's there...

I have always thought it was a good idea as it can be cheaper for a combi over a system just have to be careful on electrics as some combis 24v switching on heating so zone valves are the way forward!

Course you can Mark done a few as combi was higher output and cheaper than system etc
my thoughts as well a megaflow 32 system is 100 quid less than a potterton titanium 40 combi,megaflow 2 year warranty titanium 7 years so 5 years for a hundred quid more

I have done it a couple time. I have always put the kitchen sink and/or utility room sink on the combi side of things and stored water for bathrooms etc.

my thoughts as well a megaflow 32 system is 100 quid less than a potterton titanium 40 combi,megaflow 2 year warranty titanium 7 years so 5 years for a hundred quid more
Just done one the same as I system 5 year warranty and combi 7 year got a good deal on the combi and the old boy always wanted an hot outside tap lol, got me the job! And him what he wanted and a 7 year warranty to boot!

Warranty will be void unless you have at least one outlet running off the boiler

Surely it less to draw off cylinder than for boiler to fire on full gas from cold to heat a bit of water to wash hands ?

Depends where the boiler is, and where the cylinder is, could save drawing off cold water before the hot comes through?

I've done it many times as in some countries system boilers aren't imported.
Realistically if you look inside a modern system boiler it is identical to a combi without a diverter valve and plate hx.

done it a few times in large houses having combi feed to one sink but no need to .

I have done it a couple time. I have always put the kitchen sink and/or utility room sink on the combi side of things and stored water for bathrooms etc.

Same here!

I have also done it. An alpha cd50 connected to an oso twin coil run on an s plan heating the offices also. Has a hw draw off for the cleaners to fill their mop buckets . Works brilliantly

if you dont use the hw side then wont the diverter seize up long term and cause issues. if the combi is already in situ, leave the close runs as is and just wack in an s plan on the heating/cyl side. If its an intergas, even easier to do, and youll have water whilst your working on it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to combi used as a system boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I think the last discussion was back in 2021. A few questions to guide any discussion. Which are the cheapest to heat over the year, system or combi in an average 3/4 bed property? Which will be the more reliable and cheapest boiler type to repair over the next 10 years? Is there a better...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator pipes during the strip out. Not the end of the world as damages happens. I am responsible builder and paying my bills and to repair the damages if...
Replies
Views
Hi. I recently had a renovation done. My builder installed a new Combi boiler instead of my system boiler. He connected the pipework to the digital pump. He did not inform us that we would need a new processor because we had changed to a Combi and subsequently a valve blew. Should my builders...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I have a gas boiler in my apartment that heats a net area of 300 m2 with an underfloor heating system. The boiler has a capacity of 45 kW. There's no issue with the heating system, but I want to increase the hot water capacity. I plan to connect an external 200-liter boiler. How can I...
Replies
Views
Home owner looking for some advice pls. We have a megaflow system which we are considering removing as the tank takes up a lot of space and we don’t find we are using more than one shower or bath at a time. Our plan is to do this when the current boiler needs replacing (probably in the next...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock