Discuss Close coupled? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
So guys, a close coupled system, does the vent and cold feed pipe need to 150mm all the way upto the F&E tank, or, just where they tap into the system?

Also, when you convert an open vented into a sealed, do you put the expansion tank on the feed, and prv on the vent, or what is the best way to go about it?

Have no idea of what your trying to say

150mm next to each other where they tee into the system, preferably behind the pump.

when changing to a sealed system. cut the f and e out of the sytem and add the expansion on the return leg as it will last longer and not take as much of a battering from the flow heat. As for the filling loop?? put it wherever is easiest for you, i do

so basically i can just cap off the f&e and vent where they T into the system? Then, put the expansion vessel and prv on the return after the last radiator in the system? Is this correct?

And the filling loop, somewhere where you can basically see the pressure gauge?

You can buy sealed system conversion kits.

It has filling loop prv and expansion vessel all in one place.

so basically i can just cap off the f&e and vent where they T into the system? Then, put the expansion vessel and prv on the return after the last radiator in the system? Is this correct?

yep, bare in mind, when sealing a system it will be put under pressure unlike its never had applied to it before. If pipework is iffy or any part of the system for that matter..it could leak

Thanks simon, I think that these are quite pricey though. Plus, then i rarely find space in the airing cupboard to put all that kit. I guess it would be ok in the loft, its just then the client would have to go there to top up the system after the summer

Thanks bob. I have also heard, that, the boiler also has to have a low limit stat on it as well. If you want to convert to sealed system.

?? well. you learn something new everyday, i didnt know that 'cringe' :willy_nilly:

So guys, a close coupled system, does the vent and cold feed pipe need to 150mm all the way upto the F&E tank, or, just where they tap into the system?

Also, when you convert an open vented into a sealed, do you put the expansion tank on the feed, and prv on the vent, or what is the best way to go about it?

150 refers to the distance from each other when they enter main system, can go any distance after this

can the boiler take a sealed system?

never heard that terminology before when referring to a sealed system, close coupled, i was expecting a thread about a CC PAN !!

depends on boiler if it has a high limit stat then you can convert to sealed system with appropriate kit, not sure if you can add an external high limit stat to a boiler which doesnt have one though

Avoid putting expansion vessel & PRV in roofspaces for obvious reasons, - freezing likely & probably no frost protection. Also remember to fit an air vent on exp pipe & make sure rad valves are not old or cheap leakers & no slight weeps at anything. ( stating the obvious ):yesnod:

The expansion vessel kits are not that expensive, but you do need plenty room for them.

Ok cool guys, To be honest though, the only place i could put the vessel is in the loft. I have been in lofts where they have had the megaflow and boiler before with all this kit. But i cant remember seeing any insulation.

Can i buy a jacket for an expansion vessel?

Also, when you say put a aav on the expansion pipe, do you mean what used to be the vent, cold feed or going upto the vessel?

Thanks guys.

Am changing all my valves today to new ones.

Sorry Gquigley, I was actually referring to an open vented system as the feed and vent are best connected into the system behind the pump at 150mm. Which you probably know. And i want to convert to a sealed system.

Sorry for not making it clear.

Cheers mate

An air vent should normally be fitted to the vent pipe if it is a system with a copper cylinder, so as to remove air from coil/pipes. I wouldn't want exp vessel & the pipework & PRV in attic as needs to be safe from frost. If pipes up there freeze, then no safety features work! Good point about insulating exp vessels. Never seen this done, yet it would need it in cold unheated areas.

yeah i know what you mean now mutley, just when i seen the thread i was expecting a thread about a WC lol, its all good though.

Thanks for the help again guys. I can see why you thought i was on about a toilet mate. Ha ha.

I tell you what guys, I am knackered. I have just had to install 2 boilers in the same block of flats in 3 days including flushing. I was meant to be doing it with the boss, but he was off on break downs most of the time.

I tried using one of those magnacleanse flushing units, as the boss had just bought one. To be honest, when i used it on its own, i hardly got anything on the magnets. And that vibrating thing doesn't half make a noise. I could not believe it. I was going to buy myself one of those, but after trying it out, not any more. My boss the cheeky git, thought he would try and flog his one to me. He he. I think i shall stick to power flushing to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Close coupled? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I own an ArmitageShanks fairly compact cistern pictured. Does anyone know the model and make? 1, Is it close-coupled only or can it be converted...
Replies
Views
J
Moved into an old house that has a vented gravity fed system (cold water tank and feed + expansion tank in the attic). I need to replace all...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock