Discuss Central Heating System Failed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie757

Hi all,

First post so bear with me! Earlier today, my central heating/hot water system failed. The system comprises an Ideal Elan 2 boiler, a Honeywell thermostat, two header tanks in the loft and a cylinder in the airing cupboard.

For about a month now, the CH has only been working with the HW switched on and when it is on, the boiler seems to operate for about 30 seconds before switching off again in a repetitive cycle.

Anyway, a little earlier, the boiler stopped operating and I can't get it to light.

If anybody could shed a little light on my problem it would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Jamie.

Thanks for your reply, I've shut the boiler down and relit the pilot a couple of times, it just doesn't seem to want to light! The timer (ACL LP241) is calling for heat as far as I can see!

Best regards, Jamie.

can you hear the fan etc coming on the boiler before it trys to light ?

No, it doesn't seem to be making any noises or doing anything, apart from a click after shutting it down.

Rgds.

has the programmer still got a display up ?
when calling for heat etc is the pump running ?

Ok, so the boiler has just sprung back into life after being switched off for about an hour and restarted, the programmer seems as normal, display, indicators illuminated etc.. I can hear a whirring noise coming from the airing cupboard, can't quite tell if it's coming from the silver box (a valve of some sort I assume :confused:) or the pump though.

Think I'll be phoning for an engineer to come and inspect it!

Many thanks for your replies so far, much appreciated! Any info on the other faults, CH only working with HW would be great, then I can get a feel on what may be wrong, possible costs and whatnot!

Best regards, Jamie.

your first fault is with the valve it sounds like its a faulty microswitch.

Many thanks for your help Sonray! Much appreciated!

Regards, Jamie.

Jamie, i'd guess you just need a new synchron motor in the valve in your airing cupboard( the silver thing) this is what is stopping your heating coming on alone budget about 18-20 quid for the part... easy to do once power is positivly isolated!! but don't get ripped off by someone saying they will need to change the full valve and drain the system down etc... 20 minute job to just change the motor!!

The elan doesn't have a fan so you won't hear one... if the pilot stays lit but goes out after a minute or so its overheating so i would suspect the pump or a blockage...
hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating System Failed! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock