Search the forum,

Discuss Can pipes to combi be chased into a wall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cascas

Just planning a kitchen. Usually a combi fitted into a kitchen has the pipes from the bottom put through the worktop and boxed in. The layout I am working with is a bit of a pain, and I have little choice but to put the dishwasher below planned location for the boiler. At the moment neither can be moved.

As the dishwasher has little (i.e no) clearance behind I cannot plan it to allow the pipes to pass from the boiler to the left hand side of the dishwasher/sink etc. Is it acceptable to chase these pipes (inc gas) into the wall between the boiler down to behind this dishwasher and out to one side.

You can chase ... A thought though, could you channel them in a duct so they're accessible?

i always thought it was ok as long as it was protected i.e plastic coated.

You can chase ... A thought though, could you channel them in a duct so they're accessible?

Was just thinking about if I could do this, not sure yet. I will chase the wall / allow space for a duct, so that the installer can just run the pipe in the space.

Always used BI on chased work myself, surely you can still puncture plastic coated or similar........
Can the boiler be re-positioned anywhere else ....

Black iron is a good idea but not a legal requirement. B.S. 6891 doesn't even mention protection from corrosion for gas pipes chased into walls.

I also though black iron of coated copper but with a steel plate in front to protect was a requirement if gas pipe is set in a wall (sure it is in viper book somewhere) to protect from mechanical damage.

Metallic protection is specified for timber framed not pipes chased in masonry. Check BS 6891 section 8.9 ans figure 6.

Was just thinking about if I could do this, not sure yet. I will chase the wall / allow space for a duct, so that the installer can just run the pipe in the space.

I've seen a few purpose made channels in walls with just a screwed on boarding flush with the wall surface for access. It depends on what the wall construction is; cavity, timber framed....etc Leave it open top and bottom if you're concerned about gas regs, and if cavity wall, make sure you don't allow any gaps in the cement that can communicate with the cavity! AND also consider where the filling loop is going to be fitted if you happen to have an appliance that doesn't have an integral one :)

gas pipework chased into the plaster work is fine. Copper is fine if protected from corrosion. It only needs a steel plate (1mm thick) fitted over it if its chased into the brickwork its full depth. The gas pipe will need to be incased in either sand and cement or dabb. There are drawings in the corgi and viper books showing how its done.

Personally i would try your best to avoid it as its alot of work and if you want to alter anything later it will be a pain. Can you get a stand off kit for the boiler and drop down from above?

remember to make sure if you go into the brick/block work you keep the chase depth to the building regs to avoid weakening the wall.

if its a newly dabbed wall you could consider cutting out the plasterboard, sealing the sides and running the pipework clipped to the brickwork and the above the worktop create a removable box under the boiler which you could tile over to match the wall, just remember to seal both side of the timber box before tiling to avoid it bowing.

can the combi pipework go up?you can get stand of brackets to allow pipework to rise behind the boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can pipes to combi be chased into a wall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock