Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss c/h header tank overflow dripping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iwol

hi all after having the c/h header tank overflow gushing out a couple of weeks ago i had some great advice and turned the pump down to no.2,which seemed to work ok..but ive just noticed my outside wall getting damp near the overflow pipe,because the pipe is slightly going up i cant see it dripping but it must be just slowly running back down the pipe onto the wall...the ball valve isnt sticking because ive taken a bit of water out the tank and the valve isnt operating,and there is no water coming in via the top pipe so could it be coming up the cold feed and if so why please thanks iwol..

Is the cold water storage tank higher than the c/h tank ?
If so it could be a leaking coil in the hot cylinder, this will let stored water (higher tank) into the heating system so gradually filling up the c/h tank (lower tank).
This is assuming of course that you have a "conventional" hot water system

thanks nickh the cold water storage tank is below the ch header tank and yes its a conventional system any more ideas please

if i remember i spoke to you about a week ago about it.

it relates the the original problem.

sounds like the vent pipe is blocked.

is the water in the tank warm/hot ?
is the cold feed pipe hot from system right up to the tank ?
is the vent pipe hot from system up to the tank ?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi sonray the water in the tank is cool
the cold feed pipe is warm right upto the tank(is this the one that goes into the bottom of the tank)
the vent pipe(is this the one that goes over the top of the tank)i think is now cold (i think)

the cold feed pipe is warm right upto the tank(is this the one that goes into the bottom of the tank)
yes

the vent pipe(is this the one that goes over the top of the tank)i think is now cold (i think)
yes

when we last spoke you said it was comming out your vent pipe the pipe over the top.

sounds strange you say water in tank cool but overflow been running.

yes it was then but not now since you told me to turn the pump down

where does the water level useally sit compaired to the overflow ?
1" below or 5" below etc.

if the water in the tank is cool that tells me its not been filling from the system.

thanks sonray dont know where it usually sits but itook about a pint or two out 2 hours ago ands its filled back up again its definately not coming from the vent as i have had a dog bowl under the vent and theres nothing in it wouldnt say the water is freezing in the tank but its not warm either.the feed pipe is warm all the way to the tank(does that make sense)...ive just noticed a very slight drip from the back end of the valve(where its connected)but its only a drip every 5 seconds or so,dont think it would fill the pint or so of water in such a short space of time

bent the arm down a bit and removed a bucket full of water last night ball cock not operating but tank full again tonight.would a drip every 5 seconds put this much water back in the tank in just 24 hours do you think

I have the same problem, water in ch header tank is cold, but keeps refilling up to overflow outlet. Have removed water twice now but seems to refill to same point after 24 hours. The ball valve stops water entering well below the overflow with the exception of a very slow drip as per iwols post. Would this fill the tank in a 24 hour peroid?? Is it worth replcaing the valve?

Hmm!

If water is not getting into the header tank through the ballvalve then where is it coming from?

The CSW is lower than the cold feed so it can't be that.

Have you had new mixer taps put in lately, causing a possible cross flow problem?

Are all the stats okay causing overheating and the water to expand up into the header tank?

Are all the rads air free?

Is the vent pipe clear?

The pump has been turned down so its not that.

If its just started what has changed in the system? Any recent repairs done? Washing machine, dishwasher, shower nixer taps, water supplies okay?

Immersion heater stat okay?

As the central heating circuit heats up the water will expand. the expansion in the system is taken up by the f&e tank via the feed pipe. this is normal. so the level of the water in the f&e tank must be set right to accomodate for this expansion. if the ball valve has an isolating valve try turning it off for a day,no longer. if the f&e doesn't overflow you know the extra water is entering via the ball valve. if so replace.

This thread was started nearly 2yrs ago and OP is no longer a member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to c/h header tank overflow dripping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock