Search the forum,

Discuss BS1212 part 1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was reading on some old revision exam papers that that the only place permitted for a BS1212 part 1 valve is in a F and E tank?

Is this a glitch, my understanding is part 1 valves are only allowed in a wc off a cws?

Please can someone advise?

Thanks

I seem to remember the requirements depend on the situation, means of overflow and likelihood of contamination - It is all written down in tables in the Water Regs handbook. Doesn't specifically refer to DHW tanks etc.

Either way, you should fit a double check valve to prevent potential contamination caused by back syphioniage. Especially on an F & E tank that contains potentially harmful chemicals.

Either way, you should fit a double check valve to prevent potential contamination caused by back syphioniage. Especially on an F & E tank that contains potentially harmful chemicals.

there is no requirement to fit a double check valve on the inlet of a F&E tank, the requirement is to remove the risk of contamination by good design and installation, ie overflow position in relation to ballvalve position, and correctly setting the water level

sorry mate should of phrased it a bit better, i have always been told its good practice

there is no requirement to fit a double check valve on the inlet of a F&E tank, the requirement is to remove the risk of contamination by good design and installation, ie overflow position in relation to ballvalve position, and correctly setting the water level

good to see someone knows the rules:eek:

The Portsmouth valve is not suitable for use in WC cisterns,
unless there is a suitable backflow prevention device, e.g. a double
check valve fitted before the valve. If used on a CWSC, the valve
must have an adjustable float lever connection.

i was under the impression that they are not allowed in wc's any more simply because the airgap requirements to comply with water regs has changed to specify top outlet filling valves only.

KJ

If you look in the Water Regulations you will see there are no details specifically referring to WCs or other devices. Rather there is a list of categories of water qualities and a page detailing back siphonage and contamination prevention measures.

Hmm!

Its best perhaps to work it out yourself. If water can go down the ball valve outlet and cause back siphonage, then its wrong.

The top outlet WC cistern ball valves are designed so that the outlet is much higher than the cisterns overflow pipe inlet, i.e it has an air gap.

The BS 1212 Part 1 has its outlet at the bottom, so its lower and so the air gap between the cisterns overflow inlet and the ball valves outlet is reduced.

So obviously a BS 1212 part 2 in brass or part 3 in plastic with an outlet on the top would be better for a cistern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to BS1212 part 1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock