Search the forum,

Discuss Best tool / gizmo for pressure vessel inflating? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick10256

Gas Engineer
I'm sure this has been asked before so if so please direct me to the thread. What do you guys find best to re-inflate pressure vessels? I have a small compressor with a standard tyre inflator (PCL). I find it nearly impossible to get this down the back of boilers, especially when no clearance above e.g. when in lofts or high in kitchens. Even when I can connect it, it usually lets more air out than in. All this whilst trying to catch the expelled water!! There must be an easy way? Best tools found would be much appreciated.Mick

Needs a long hose for gas boilers - guys on here say the (manual) Regin floor pump for expansion vessels is good.
I use a similar but cheaper Crivit floor pump which only has a short hose but I mostly do accessible or separate expansion vessels on oil boilers & unvented cylinders.
I should add, - it kills me pumping up the air on exp vessels & I am also thinking of a battery operated pump because I wouldn't dream of using a manual pump on my car tyres, (unless really stuck) so makes sense.

Last edited:
You can get a cordless rottenburger one ! Or the regin angled exp vessel adaptor and the Reginfoot pump, if the valve on exp is goosed simply leave the adaptor on and but a new one charge custard ÂŁ10.00 for the privilege.
http://bit.ly/1bWOsq

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Regin pump. I've got the angle adaptor and for pain in the arris vessels I've got some lorry tyre valve extenders.

These are handy.
90 Degree tyre valve adaptor extra long shank motorcycles all Schrader valves | eBay image.jpg
as are these
Bikers Dream extension adapter set offers at the cycling shop Rose Bikes UKimage.jpg

Stanley DN/8/5 4.5Ltr Portable Air Compressor 240V | Air Compressor | NoLinkingToThis

It is not necessary to disconnect the vessel from the system when
re pressurising. Make sure that the system is flat.

This can be done by leaving open a drain cock or (not recommended) holding
open the safety valve. (other methods can be used).

The expelled water will be pushed back into the heating system so no mess.

I use a bike pump, have never found a vessel that could not be re-inflated with one.

Bike pump on a 100l would take a while. Has yours got a pressure gauge?

I use the regin pump with long hose, not cheap but makes life easy and I use bit every day. Before that I was using a foot pump and it was a pain really.

When I know I'm going to a larger site with larger vessels then I take my small air compressor with me

i use cordless rothenberger, cost around 40 quid. much easier than foot pump i used to use.

Thanks guys. I have a small (but heavy!) shhhh air compressor which does the job hands and feet free. It's getting something to seal reliably on the almost inaccessible valves that's the problem and then getting it off again without letting all the air back out. I'll check out the regin. Cheers, Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best tool / gizmo for pressure vessel inflating? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Totally new to this forum and hoping for some guidance. Two weeks ago we noticed a brown stain on our kitchen ceiling. Above it is the bathroom and airing cupboard where our hot water tank is. We have a closed system. The pressure had dropped on our boiler and so we topped it up (have...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm currently in Ireland and in a small cottage where the plumbing system has me scratching my head a bit. When the place was done up the builders decided that the tank in the loft was no longer needed and put a tank out back in a small extension where ALL (well, except for the cold...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am looking to replace an Ideal Classic FF350 in a 4 bed detached house, 1 main bathroom with a bath and electric shower, also en-suite with a thermostatic shower that is currently pumped (knackered) from a DHW cylinder (essex flange weeping). F&E and CWS tanks in the loft, gravity fed...
Replies
Views
I have a 500 litre thermal store serving an old property that we are working through to replace most of the pipework, all of the rusty rads and to integrate a Heatmiser Neo control system with Emetti manifolds and control valves. Some UFCH comes later. For safety I want to add a pressure...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock