Discuss Bearhug Tap wrench kit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carl86

I was just wondering peeps if anyone has used or had experience with these type of tools? Are they any good? they saved your life on any occasion you know the im glad I had these with me other wise i'd be there till next week scenario :D

lately i've had to change a fair few basin, bath and kitchen taps over on the site im on, and in certain cases found access difficult and the power required to losen the connect nuts and connections hard using a monument basin wrench with the toby bar especialy in tight spaces with no room for the leverage.

Rothenberger one...

Rothenberger Bearhug Tap Wrench Kit

Scottool one...

Scottool Bk1 Adjustable Bath Basin and Tap Wrench Kit Set

Both more or less the same.

The Bearhug Tap Wrench kit works very well (though not in ALL situations -- like most tools) because it can be adjusted to grip back and tailnuts in a positive way. I use it nearly every time I need to swap/fit conventional bath/sink/basin taps -- not monoblocs -- and would not be without the kit.

I use a cheapy set of box spanners from silverline and they are brilliant and cost me about a tenner. Fits in small nooks and crannys and the tommy bar is adjustable.

Ive got a box spanner for Half Inch and 3/4, and also a set of smaller ones for monocblocks all great bits of kit.

I've got a monument tap wrench to fit basin and bath tap connection nuts but found it hard to use in akward areas as the jaws kept slipping off the nut when holding on to the jaws was not possible and the spring loaded ones are very bulky under certain basins and baths so its always hard to get it to tighten anything up as it simply does not fit.

After what Alanka said I think this is one bit of kit that would help solve some of my issues so i may get it along side that rothenberger olive splitter.

monument adjustable wrench a set of box spanner is realy all you need no matter how many wrenches you carry theres always gonna be a tap you wind up cutting out
most taps fitted in the last 15 years come out easy when i were a boy every tap was fixed with putty and plaster mix god some of them took a lot of getting out
to be honest its not getting the taps out thats the problem these days its stopping the taps spinning

£40+ quid seems a lot of money to me for a bent spanner?
If you surf around you can get Bearhug online for less than this -- £30 typically. This does include a nice box with two Bearhugs, a ratchet driver, and two extension bars.

If you've already got a 3/8" driver, you can buy Bearhugs individually for much less.

ah! now i may be interested alanka.
got box's of ex bars and ratchets so just the sockets will be better.
do you know where to get them on there own?.

anyone tried the jaw dropper spanner

Jaw Dropper Plumbing Wrench - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

I've got a set of the Jaw Droppers and find them really good. Much, much easier to use than the adjustable type and fit most back nuts and union nuts well.

I can't compare them to the Bear Hugs as I haven't used them but from the pictures on the links it looks like they do the same job

Mark

How good / easy is the adjustability of the Bear Hugs?

I had to replace a bath mixer yesterday and struggled with every combination of tap wrench I have - even the Jaw Droppers. Ended up only being able to use my Bahco wide jaw adjustable and that was a real tight squeeze.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bearhug Tap wrench kit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock