Search the forum,

Discuss Bath / Shower doesn't divert properly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formula400

I had an Ideal Standard CONE Bath Shower Mixer tap (B5111AA) fitted in a new bathroom 4 years ago. The tap has always had softened water passing through it. It has had very limited use during the period - e.g. it may not be used for periods of 3 months at a time. (we do have another shower...!)

The following problem has recently developed. The tap diverts fully to the shower if the central plunger is pushed down. However, if the plunger is pulled up it diverts some water to the bath but diverts an approximately even flow to the shower. I can't get it to divert to the bath only. I wonder if this may be a symptom of limited use.

I have tried repeatedly moving the plunger up and down without success. It's probably true to say that when moving the plunger it moves between the extents of its lower and upper positions. I have been searching on the net for: 1) details on how to service this tap, and 2) where to buy spare parts for the tap. Can anyone answer these questions for me?

Having looked closely at the tap, there appears to be a (easily moved) pin through the diverter plunger. I have not tried removing the pin. Would this give me access to any part that may benefit from a drop of WD40, or is this not the right thing to do?

I would appreciate your advice on how I may set about fixing this problem.

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff, do you live in a hardwater area? if so this may account for the problem and it could be limescale, you could try removing the pin and clean the diverter but then you may not be able to get it back together again , alternativley you could unscrew the shower hose and pour some vinegar or some sort of descaler down the diverter to try and clean this, as for spares try ideal themselves as they have a helpline ( although from my dealings with them some of the staff are idiots), I hope some of this has been of some help.

Rob

Had similar problem on a job....it was the o ring dislodged on one of the grooves. Refitted job done.

you need to remove the divertor to inspect it

isolat the water to it and the pull the diverter out

Not sure how it comes out but should be detailled on the instructions or on Ideals webiste

The one I did was just isolate the water and unscrew cap off then undo with spanner on the flats.

Thanks to all for your replies. Yes it is a hard water area, but the Kinetico water softener keeps the water well softened.
I've dug out the fitting instructions left behind by the bathroom fitter, and it looks like the diverter 'should' be relatively easy to remove and refit.
I looked on Ideal's website for spare parts and the tap is listed but the diverter is not listed as a spare part. Oops.

I need to get in touch with Ideal concerning getting the spare part. The part will be under warranty if I can provide proof of purchase. Hopefully Ideal will accept a quote from the bathroom fitter for the bathroom fit, listing the Cone taps as part of the fit.

Thanks again

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath / Shower doesn't divert properly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock