Search the forum,

Discuss back boilers and ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

P4ULT

hi all

can you clarify a few things for me. im going to more and more properties with there vents closed or completely covered would you still service the boiler or or explain the situation if they dont agree leave them to it

cheers paul

time you took your gas quals again, I cant believe any gas registered engineer worth his salt would ask this question which doesnt deserve an answer really does it, get your book out and read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to one the other day and and old fella had put a hit & miss vent on the external wall (because it looked better) pulled it off job done - but I must stress he was not chuffed at all

old plumber i didnt ask for sarcasm :confused:
quality thats more the answer i was looking for as people are getting annoyed and telling me that the plumber that been doing it for the past 10 years hasnt had a problem with it

im well aware of the procedure im talking about customers getting arsey about it

hi new regs say[as i am sure you know]ventilation must be 90% of aggregate size with correct covers and opening slots if not its a at risk so a turn off i ask customers if they have a vent be fore i do a service,but with tenants they cant be arsed half the time to stay in let alone check if they have a vent,what i do is explain the situation to the landlord/letting agent before the service and get them to agree to upgrade/add ventilation if needed before hand

baxi back boiler,customer had covered vent saying was creating too much of a draft,fitted new vent away from where she sat,job done:)

baxi back boiler,customer had covered vent saying was creating too much of a draft,fitted new vent away from where she sat,job done:)
farorite with back boilers were the old floor vent then they lay laminate floor over them

sorry mate but your question was would you do anything about it if they have covered the vent etc and would you service the boiler

your responsibility is quite clear in this situ and as a registered engineer nowhere in the regs does it say turn a blind eye as an option
you know the regs stick to them

i always ask before i start but customers get very upset about the draft around there feet lol. what im saying is if they dont let you do the boiler would you just leave it or capp it most people will tell you where to go. the confronatation with some people could turn bad as they just dont understand no matter how much you tell them.

I have had this a few times,and luckily most of the customers have agreed to take out fly screens, uncover covered vents and move anything covering the vent etc.
By rights it should be AR(not teaching you to suck eggs), bnut like you say people can turn nasty when you have to tell them that you have to turn off and label the appliance.
The one nasty custard I had in this situation, had only just moved in to the property.Told him what needed to be done,quoted to do the job and it was all sorted.

Unfortunately this is where us RGI's on on a ****ty wicket.You turn off appliance or uncover vent and the customer can quite easily reinstate what was before you got there.
This is where if you find any of these things, that you need to make anote of it on the service sheet, otherwise its your word against theirs if a problem arises.

Graham

a fair point on the customer covering up the hole again when they leave the bit i dont get is you tell them its for their own safety and the tell you there gonna put it back after so what can you do.

old plumber i didnt ask for sarcasm :confused:
quality thats more the answer i was looking for as people are getting annoyed and telling me that the plumber that been doing it for the past 10 years hasnt had a problem with it

im well aware of the procedure im talking about customers getting arsey about it

I wasnt being sarcastic, I was dumbfounded you asked, and your query do i just leave it is totally irresponsible. If you know the rules follow them or you just get yourself in the sh*t with everyone, especially if the next guy through who queries the customer about who looked at this last and they say you walked away and the new plumber riddors you

You know the answer already from what you say, why ask the question (thats sarcasm):rolleyes:

If its a correct vent but covered, remove the obstruction and make a note in the documentation to cover yourself as they will likely cover it up again once you've left. If its not the correct vent, treat the situation as per unsafe situations regs.

looking again its easy really, just do what I did a while back , service boiler, get paid, issue notice ar/id your choice at end of day based on situation (you can smell gas sometimes), inform carrier transco etc, they come out cut off gas, customer mad, rings you, you ask do you want it remedied and safe, of course they do, go back, issue bill , get paid, reinstate gas having resolved vent problem and leak.

Not reccommended by customer care college, but its your ticket on the line at the end of the day.

It does help to be 6 foot and bigger than most customers, and if they threaten you walk away, do you need them as a customer anyway.

Council tenants are the worst for it, you can explain the dangers until your blue in the face they will still block it up as soon as you leave!! Watch out for some of them getting clever and putting cling film on the inside!! Ive got hardened to them now and tell them straight " If you want to kill yourself keep blocking that vent but i'm not going to jail for you!!" Sign here please .

if we come across blocked air vents,we stongley advise the customer,and we make a note on gas cert,which they sign,so your covered,because as soon as your out the door ,they will cover it again,more dangerous flueless gas fires ,

They can pour parrafin all over all of their gas appliances once i have gone for all i care as long as my paperwork is in order, signatures in correct places, analysers printouts signed, corect procedures followed. All proving every thing was correct as I left. Always cover yourself and don't be afraid to shut off appliances or it could be you in the showers at wormwood scrubs with Mr. Big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to back boilers and ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock