Discuss Automatic Bypass Valve .. CLARIFICATION in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does have something to do with a bypass if an automatic one has not been fitted and you are looking at an existing system!!! We are not finding it hard fuzzy just discussing that we do not live in an ideal world and you may come across situations where the best practice has not been followed or the system you are looking at my be different to what you are used to seeing. I have seen many systems where the ABV has failed and is not opening when it should and caused the boiler to overheat. Try to not be so quick to jump down peoples throats.

There is probably no automatic bypass fitted and if there is the installer does not know the basics.
There should NOT be a stat. in room with TRV's fitted as they will conflict against each other.

explain what you mean about auto bypass... if someone fits an auto bypass to the system they don't no basics why?[/QUOTE]

Just noticed this post.
If you look at details above this sentence you quoted, I listed the basic CHESS requirements, but I think tiredness caught up with me in the translation of this sentence you quoted.
What I think I meant was that if a rad bypass was fitted in the bathroom in addition to an automatic bypass then this is wrong and just pointless. I think that is what I was getting at. Not that it is wrong to fit an automatic bypass.

explain what you mean about auto bypass... if someone fits an auto bypass to the system they don't no basics why?

Just noticed this post.
If you look at details above this sentence you quoted, I listed the basic CHESS requirements, but I think tiredness caught up with me in the translation of this sentence you quoted.
What I think I meant was that if a rad bypass was fitted in the bathroom in addition to an automatic bypass then this is wrong and just pointless. I think that is what I was getting at. Not that it is wrong to fit an automatic bypass.[/QUOTE]

What if someone turned the bath rad off manually?

Just noticed this post.
What I think I meant was that if a rad bypass was fitted in the bathroom in addition to an automatic bypass then this is wrong and just pointless. I think that is what I was getting at. Not that it is wrong to fit an automatic bypass.

What if someone turned the bath rad off manually?[/QUOTE]

if u have an auto bypass nothing

I know that fuzzy but someone was saying theres no point installing an auto bypass if you have a rad as a bypass. Just spoke to a heating engineer who told me the same thing. But what if someone turns the rad off and there is no bypass? Surely there should be an auto bypass on every new install???

I know that fuzzy but someone was saying theres no point installing an auto bypass if you have a rad as a bypass. Just spoke to a heating engineer who told me the same thing. But what if someone turns the rad off and there is no bypass? Surely there should be an auto bypass on every new install???

correct;)

its not really automatic it bypasses trough the plate heat and baxi have used a 10mm pipe idea as far back as the first 80 and 105 e,i am with puddle on one rad without a trv always needs to be left off in the room with a roomstat other wise they work against each other

Hi Guys,

Need you're expertise please.

My heating system is very basic I don't have a termostat, all I have is a knob on the boiler to turn the heat up on the water.

This was a problem as in the morning I needed the heating on but also the hot water for a shower. But because the central heating water heats the water in my hot water cylinder means i have to crank my boiler up but in turn means my rads go red hot as they didn't have any controls on them except the lounge.

I have five rads in my house 2 x bedrooms, 1 x bathroom, 1 x lounge and 1 x kitchen. I have since fitted two drayton trv4's on the bedrooms the bathroom rad is turned off, the lounge rad has an old fashioned knob which you can turn up and down and the kitchen rad is the same as the bathroom but the valve is constantly stuck on.

I want to fix the Kitchen rad by putting another Drayton TRV4 on but looking around the net i have seen people saying that if you have trv's fiited you need to fit an automatic by pass valve, however I have also read that you can get away without fitting a bypass valve if you leave one rad without a trv to maintain the flow of water although it is not an economical solution.

I was thinking in my case this could work for me because i could stick a TRV on the kitchen rad and then leave the bathroom rad on which would kind of act as a bypass valve.

My only other idea would be to fit a basic thermostatic valve to the rad in the kitchen which i am thinking i should have done at the beginning with the two bedroom rads and taking the trv's off the bedroom rads and replacing those with basic valves too. or fitting a bypass valve.

my boiler is a 1998 glow worm ultimate basic jobbie, please could you confirm the above, I have spent alot researching this on the net and have found nothing so I am thinking there will be alot of people out there which would benefit from this question.

Many Thanks. D

You will be fine with just leaving the one rad left open and put TRV's on the others.
But remember the rads will still get as hot, they dont reduce the temp of the water they will just stop that warm now untill they reach the setting you leave them on, which at that point they will shut off.

getting a room thermostat fitted would be better, usually hallway/lounge. that area would not want a trv. what controls does the system have, zone valves, cylinder stat, programmer etc.Depending how things are currently set up would determine what work was involved. but with a few changes to controls and maybe pipe work, you could have full control of your heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Automatic Bypass Valve .. CLARIFICATION in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock