Discuss Auto by-pass on regular boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CMairiD

If you have fitted an auto by-pass on a regular boiler (WB 18Ri), then is there any reason why an installer should be using a rad as a by-pass as well?

is your room stat in the same room as the rad your installer is using as a by-pass??

If the rad's in the correct room then yes. Otherwise the rad stat could be set lower than the room stat, and the boiler would run constantly for CH.

Yes, kinda. Rad at bottom of stairs, no TRV. RF stat 1/3 way up stairway.

Tenants leave programmer on constant hot water only, but this single hallway rad is heating up.

the rad stat could be set lower than the room stat, and the boiler would run constantly for CH.

agreed with above

if on hot water only no rads should heat up

sound like your return from that rads is teed in the after the return from the cylinder on the return to the boiler and the rad is back heating on itself

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, why?

I've just paid to have the system upgraded, including controls to make it more energy efficient. Assuming the bypass has been fitted, why would we allow a single rad to continue to chuck out heat when the programmer isn't calling for it?

I know that some of our older properties that haven't been upgraded do work like this (bathroom as a bypass). But if I've just paid to upgrade the system, it is my assumption it would be upgraded to eliminate this issue.

If my thinking is wrong, I'd just like to understand why it has to be left like that.

Yes, why?

I've just paid to have the system upgraded, including controls to make it more energy efficient. Assuming the bypass has been fitted, why would we allow a single rad to continue to chuck out heat when the programmer isn't calling for it?

I know that some of our older properties that haven't been upgraded do work like this (bathroom as a bypass). But if I've just paid to upgrade the system, it is my assumption it would be upgraded to eliminate this issue.

If my thinking is wrong, I'd just like to understand why it has to be left like that.
You are correct. Why put in a rad. bypass if an auto bypass is fitted?
Energy efficiency goes right out the window here.

If rads. heating when no call for heat then check out the zone valves. Heating side may be sticking open.

you need to leave the TRV off the rad in the same room as the room thermostat because if the rad trv cuts off before the room thermostat your heating system will continue to run until it cuts out on the boiler stat, hope this clears this up a bit for yous

surely if the programmer is on constant hot water the heating cant come on till the stat is turned up, nothing to do with one rad not having a trv, check out the old honeywell "3 T's" rule about where the pipework connections should be made in relation to each other, its a very common prob on old sysytems where the cylinder is in the bedroom cupboard with the water return and heating return connected together under the bedroom floor so when the water circulates round the cylinder it heats the bedroom rad flowing back up the return, check out the rad that is heating to see if it heats on the return first

If the trv cuts the rad off in the room that the room stat is in the then the room will not heat up to control the room stat correctly

the stat controlled area should not have a trv fitted, the stat is there to stop the boiler firing on heating even if all trvs are shut if you have a rad getting hot even with clock and stat not calling the rads are piped wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Auto by-pass on regular boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock