Discuss Anyone else had a bad day? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldplumber

lost a job for boiler and central heating install to some undercutting b*gger today. Rang to confirm start date to be informed other plumber on site measuring up. Stayed at home to calm down, so thought I might mow the lawn. Note I have terraced garden , loads of steps. So i was pulling the old mower up the steps, trod on me laces, twisted my knee (old plumbing wound) and fell down the steps and head butted my spiked gate. Well actually tried to eat the gate spike. Then I noticed a white object on the ground, my now missing tooth, however no pain, thought about it and remembered Id had that kicked out years back playing rugby and this was a false "glued in " tooth. So in the end every cloud has a silver lining and Id only knocked out a denture or something like that.

So if it wasnt for the bloody custards Id have been ordering a new boiler and rads but instead Im going to the dentist tommorrow. To top it off the customer's son rang this evening complaining he wanted his gas fire, I installed last week, to have the restrictor gas pipe hidden so he cant see it as per the fire instructions that refer to rear entry pipework for nice modern plasterboard houses, where you can do this, b ut not in his victorian heap. Still, I said I would have a look, but he would be charged for a callout etc and he agreed:) so off I go tomorrow gappy grin and all to recover some of my lost monies from his family, in order to pay the dentist:eek:

Any one else had a good day:rolleyes:

Well chaps it's good to know I'm not the only poor beggar getting messed around by customers. I think the recession has brought out the worst in some folks as money has got tighter. I guess it's kinda understandable.

I fully understand that other fitters may be cheaper or more expensive. The main problem I find is that I price for something half decent and then someone else quotes for a 'off the shelf B&Q special' which is obviously going to be cheaper.

What really gets me is when they don't have the decency to let you know.

Still, it's does sometimes backfire on them, had a call from one customer a while back asking if I could come around and take a look as the guy who had fitted her boiler had made of mess of it and leaks everywhere.

I informed her I was very busy and suggested she called the installer. :)

I always quote suites / rads etc separately and say I can fit anything they want, be it quality stuff or B&Q stuff. That way I don't lose out on that.

I informed her I was very busy and suggested she called the installer.
I always do that, but say ring me back if they don't get any success, then if I come round I charge loads for putting it right.

Last edited:
Hello Oldplumber, just thought i would tell u wot happened to me yesterday. (I SHALL BEGIN.)
Went to my sisters neighbours house yesterday to replace a tap on her bathroom sink.(shes 84 so was doing it for free.). sorted the job for her came out of the bathroom with my tools and headed downstairs ( or should i say STAIR!!!!!!!)The ladies cat was on the second step down (yep u guessed it MIOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW) went the cat as i trod on it and then proceeded to fly through the air untill landing on a metal buddha head.(I KNOW A BUDDHA HEAD AT 84!!!!). Thus dislocating my shoulder and breaking my arm in three places now unable to work for next two months arm is black and blue and the morphine is running out.:eek:.S o just thought i would say hello and i do believe me and u now have something in common. Take care Oldplumber spk to u soon pal.:D Keep Smiling.Hiretools.

i would of claimed on her insurance?. or yours?.
i cant afford to be not working for 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been looking for a bad day thread. Im having a bad week. We have had 2 agreed boiler swaps go quiet on us. Woman with 2 houses, one boiler condemned by BG and decides to have them both done. Only contact was the home phone number and thought nothing of it. Now the phone lines to both properties are dead. Put a letter through with a little reminder but nothing. Having a mare with a bathroom suite fitted 13 days ago. Got called back a week after from a family tiler of theres saying the thermostatic shower we fitted was leaking. Got there and it wasn't. Let that one go. Get called this morning saying the sink trap was ****ing out. The tiler or someone has messed about with it because it was fine when we were there and no problems for best part of 2 weeks yet it was pushed back on our toes. On a learning curve as newly self employed after being employed for years. Would love to know what you guys would of done in this situation? 2 callbacks, one of which was needless and the other i was positive wasn't my error but sorted it out of good faith. I cant help feeling the tiler has had the trap off or damaged it while tiling behind. I dont wanna upset customers but i dont want to have the mick taking either. The sooner i get a feel for these things the better!

Last edited:
bad morning thats all, friend of a friend asked me to remove two rads for decorating, i asked if he had trvs and he said no, waiting for my delivery of fittings. sure enough got there and TRVs are fitted, knowing how untrustworthy TRVS are got nothing to replace them with, there off until friday, managed to rustle up a service valve and a stop tap, bit of a bodge but did the trick, just walked out of his house and phone rang, the wife, your fittings are here,screwfix screwed up this time 1 day late.

thats what its like ratrace,if where not fully doing job ie customers own tiler,before we leave we take customer up and show as much as poss ,and explain that if there tiler causes any problems we have to charge £40 callout.its great working for yourself

Had a woman hit my van up the rse. She said she pay for it. Went round to pick up the money which she gave me then gave me the job of changing her back boiler for a system and add three new rads. BEAUTIFUL !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone else had a bad day? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back